Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bell47

shoveling the dream!
I was wondering if turboprop pilots are at any disadvantage when interviewing for a major airline? If someone flys a saab or a beech for say Colgan do they have less of a chance than some guy who flew an RJ. i would think that the jet time would have some sort of advantage, although I don't think it would really make someone a better pilot. I know before the RJ's became so popular that lots of regionals flew more turboprops, so there were more "prop" guys out there interviewing. Now with all the RJ's there are probably more RJ guys interviewing for major positions than prop guys. What do you think??

Went from Saab to DC-10. Not a problem.

I don't know any more former RJ captains than T- prop's at majors.

It's the PIC time that counts. But even more than that, it's the connections you make at the company you are aiming for.

The only reason you will see a trend towards more RJ guys gettting hired is simple math. They make up the majority of pilots looking for jobs, just as it was T-prop guys back in the day.

I didn't want to turn this into a "my jungle jet is better than your prop plane" discussion. Thanks, CF34-3B1 for your input, That's more of what I'm looking for. I'm sure being a check airman didn't hurt, but what about plain ol' line pilots? Keep it coming!

I have several friends at Southwest, Continental, US Airways before they were furloughed, and plenty here at NetJets, who went straight from line pilot on a 1900 to their respective jobs. No problems.

What they all had in common was Turbine PIC time, not jet time.

SkyWest lost about 140 CA's last year, 99 RJ and 39 BRO. Considering that there are about 180 CRJ's and about 60 BRO's at SKYW, if you do the quick and rough math, by percentage (99/180 < 39/60), it looks like to T-PROP guys/gals had no problem getting other jobs.

fdah

Latest resources

Back