• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LIDO at jb -- bub bye!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was getting used to the Lidos. I didn't think they were all that bad - just my opinion. Of course, I just got used to Jepps from mil charts when we switched anyway. How about we pick a format and stick with it. Whichever one weighs less is fine with me.

I agree.

The LIDO charts were very confusing and I found myself asking ATC about certain radials when told to "hold as published". It was only a matter of time until someone missed an altitude or some other screw up due to the German charts.

But that's obviously because the Jetblue pilots aren't as well trained and qualified as the Lufthansa pilots.

QED.

Ev.

Glad they are gone, maybe some of my bitching did some good. Hope to never lay eyes on one again.

The Pig.

What do you guys think of LIDO over there at FEDEX?

We're in the paper stage as we transition to EFB. EFBs will start showing up in the widebodies in the next few months from what I hear. We just stopped carrying jepps last month. I think LIDO will be okay in EFB format. I'm getting used to where to find info and just thinking "LIDO" but it will take a little while. Like anything new, there's always some resistance. I'd much rather put up with a little pain to get an EFB and not have to carry a flight kit full of jepps. At least that's my opinion right now.

Maybe you guys didn't operate dual tracks long enough? It took us almost a year to transition to the LIDO only operation. Some LIDO is inferior to the Jepp product but the EFB will be an incredible improvement. First FDX A300 is slated to be installed in JAN07 with fleet wide installation by OCT08. Everything I've seen on the Jepp EFB is nowhere near as capable as the LIDO version. That's why we went with LIDO.

Last edited:
...but the EFB will be an incredible improvement...

Why? I'm wondering how fast this device is going to be at switching between the arrival, the approach, the ground chart and the parking chart. With Jepps it was easy, the LIDO plates make it hard. How will the EFB make this better?

Sounds like an an expensive 'heads down display' to me.

Personally I don't think that this company would do anything merely for the sake of improvement. It had to be money at some level. It's ONLY about money here.

And I'm still extrememly skeptical that this thingy will ever make it into a whistling $hithouse cockpit.

But that's obviously because the Jetblue pilots aren't as well trained and qualified as the Lufthansa pilots.

QED.

Ev.

If that was an attempt at a put-down, it didn't work!

The reason it didn't work is because I completely agree with you that we aren't as well trained when it comes to using the LIDO charts.

GP

Why? I'm wondering how fast this device is going to be at switching between the arrival, the approach, the ground chart and the parking chart. With Jepps it was easy, the LIDO plates make it hard. How will the EFB make this better?

Very fast. Have you gone to any of the EFB demos at AOC? The great thing about the EFB is the PM can quickly pull up the appropriate page and zap it over to the PF's display.

It's no less of an HDD than the MCDUs are.

Cost my have been a driver but FDX spends lots of money on "nice to haves". Magic Window being an example.

Personally, I would have been very happy if Jepp had offered a similar EFB product. They don't.

Since I hope never to return to the three-holer it's a non-issue for me if it never gets an EFB.

What airplane are you on?

Latest resources

Back