• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Letter to ALPA's President

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your all forgetting something. ALPA cares nothing about us, especially at the regional level. What we say, do or think makes no nevermind. ALPA is nothing more then an expensive magazine subscription.

I'd love to know what you folks think the solution is?

If scope is "broken", then what do you suggest be done to protect flying (jobs) at any given carrier -- legacy or regional?

BenderGonzales said:

If scope is "broken", then what do you suggest be done to protect flying (jobs) at any given carrier -- legacy or regional?
They don't care. They just want to get the biggest and shiniest airplane that they can. Mainline pilots and their jobs be danged.

Just out of curiousity, why is ASA listed in this letter? If you haven't been keeping up with current events they are no longer an asset of Delta Air lines, inc. They belong to SkyWest. Shouldn't they be addressing the SkyWest management about future growth? How about the seniority list integration between ASA and SkyWest? That should be pretty easy right, you fly the same equipment. How is that coming? Oh that's right you only go after something if you think you can get a windfall. Nice try Dan. You are a real piece of work.

I like Braveheart, he's very smart. He's a lot like Mr. Bimble, the little man who lives in my finger.

BTW, any chance I can have the money I lent (stolen from my paycheck by ALPA) to the ComedyAir pilots when they were on strike?

What's Broke?

BenderGonzales said:

For a start, we must first objectively analyze what's not working. Only then can we start to explore alternatives.

One of the better documents on the subject is the RJDC's "Ten Things Every Airline Pilot Should Know About Scope" publication. It goes to great lengths to debunk many of the myths underlying today's dysfunctional scope clauses.

http://www.rjdefense.com/2003/10_Things_About_Scope.pdf

DAL737FO said:
If you haven't been keeping up with current events they are no longer an asset of Delta Air lines, inc.

If you haven't been keeping up with events, the ASA pilots joined ALPA in 1985. As ALPA members they're still entitled to request redress from their own union.

But I do find it interesting that someone purporting to be "pro-union" would direct fellow ALPA members to management in order to obtain that which is has long been promised by ALPA.

Look, the Delta pilots can bargain first with the company, and if the company agrees, then a deal can be made. Without a deal, then the company is sunk. Therefore, the company has the ability to decide for themselves. Negotiations deal with scope, but in the end the company has to decide whether they want this thing flying or not.

The RJDC is full of LAZY pilots who like their seniority and do not want to start over, like most of us did. They never want to lose the LEFT SEAT, and they haven't even flown in the right seat since they flew the Bandirante to Texarkana back in '86. They love weekends off, and also want to keep their 4 weeks of vacation---so they can go to Myrtle Beach and watch people on the boardwalk.

IF YOU WANT TO FLY BIGGER PLANES, APPLY TO CONTINENTAL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

PCL_128 said:
The President of the Association doesn't have the time to deal with a ragtag group of whiners that are trying to hold on to an already-failed lawsuit. .... Wasting the President's time with your petty lawsuit is not something that we need right now.
I take this to mean that ALPA only has time to represent "real" airline pilots, not its members who fly small jets.

THe small jet guys get to negotiate for the leftovers after all the big dogs have eaten? ASA can't have a contract because we don't know what scraps will be left over?

Sir, you are mistaken. ALPA members have the right to expect our National Union to abide by its Constitution and Bylaws. ALPA National fails when it fails to represent its members.

Small jet pilots and mainline pilots have the same issues. Scope, retirement, bankruptcies are issues that are facing all pilots, not just the chosen few who had a friend who knew Plato.

DAL737FO said:
Just out of curiousity, why is ASA listed in this letter?
Because the lawsuit was triggered by ALPA's actions while Delta owned ASA and Comair.

Latest resources

Back