Letter of Warning

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capt America

Does a letter of Warning from the Feds mean I wont get the job?

I realize that it is on your record for 2 years, but the apps only ask for suspensions and revocation.

Should I even apply? and at the interview shoud I bring it up.

I concur with SkyWest. Most applications ask "conviction-type" questions. If you were given a speeding warning on the highway, is this an issue? No.

Drive on and good luck.

There was a thread about 6 months back about Letters of Warning. a.k.a. Letter of Correction. I think the upshot was that since it is not a permanant part of your file and it is neither a suspention or revocation, you are ok. I'll find out in about a year when mine gets pulled from my file in OK City.

Regardless of whether they ask specifically, if there's any chance they could find out you should self-disclose. Find out for sure if the Letter is disclosed during an airline's FAA record check. Sometimes the app asks if you've ever been investigated by the FAA regardless of how it ended up. Don't get caught in a lie.

Few applicants are without some kind of skeleton in their closet. In my newhire class a guy had an accident on his record in which the NTSB solely blamed him. He claims legitimately it must've been carb icing. He brought a picture of the wreck and spoke proudly about the whole incident. Heck, even guys with DWI's can get hired if they have the right attitude. Live and learn.

Good luck,

Dude

I agree with TWA Dude. I know of two people flying at the majors right now who have DUI's. I also know of a few with violations/suspensions/accidents. The trick is absolute honesty. Don't even think of bending the truth or hiding anything! Everyone makes mistakes, and the airline recruiters know this. The impression you make by telling the truth and having a good attitude will far out weigh whatever skeleton you may have.
Good luck.

Somebody you might want to exchange emails with is Robert "Bob" Duncan. He is the General Counsel for the Indianapolis International Airport, a Chief CFI and DPE, and an aviation attorney with a history of saving pilots' careers and certificates.

He spoke to my Turbine Flight Ops class towards the end of this past fall semester about the specifics of FAA enforcement. I seem to recall you can request a copy of the investigation regarding your "Letter of Correction" via the Freedom of Information Act. Perhaps that might clarify your problem to you and your potential employer; let you see exactly what the Feds have on you.

PM me if you are interested. Best of luck to ya!

I had a warning letter (Sterile cockpit violation for calling in- range on company freq below 10,000) on my record when I interviewed with a major in 1989. I was completely honest with the interview team and even showed them a copy of the warning letter. I explained the situation and they seemed to be sympathetic. I ended up getting hired there a few weeks later.

Not a deal breaker

I agree with most of the posts so far.

It's true a lot of applications don't ask about Letters of Warning but a lot do ask if you have ever received a Letter of Investigation, no matter what the outcome was.

You cannot, as some of us know, receive a Letter of Warning without first receiving a Letter of Investigation.

I was called to interview at a major airline and they already knew about my Letter of Warning.

Don't sweat it. Some of us are lucky, but sooner or later....

...well, just fly safe.

I had a warning letter (Sterile cockpit violation for calling in- range on company freq below 10,000) on my record when I interviewed with a major in 1989.

How did anybody know what altitude you were at?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back