• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Letter from Prater RE current issues:

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How did fatigue factor into the Colgan crash? As a union, what have we done to address the issue of experience?

How did fatigue factor into the Colgan crash? As a union, what have we done to address the issue of experience?
Thats easy, ALPA screws the young, and gets them pissed off at the senior, in turn the young guys get the exp to vote against the old.

My question to ALPA would be: Why is Congress "stunned" or even surprised by what your pilots make? Why is this the first they've heard about FO's living with their parents and working two jobs? What vastly more important thing have you been using the PAC money for?

How concerned are you about other people's pay? Why would you expect them to care about your pay.....

The only people that care about Air Line Pilots are Air Line Pilots..

Joe, why do you care? No matter what good ALPA does, its an group of pilots devoid of any benefit, right? You've already written off ALPA as a useless organization, correct? Just sit back, pay your dues, and let the guys that do keep trying, despite ALPA's faults, worry about stuff like that.

Not a single regional guy on the panel!! I guess the longhaul rest rules will be REALLY nice and we'll keep our 8hr reduced rests!

Joe, why do you care? No matter what good ALPA does, its an group of pilots devoid of any benefit, right? You've already written off ALPA as a useless organization, correct? Just sit back, pay your dues, and let the guys that do keep trying, despite ALPA's faults, worry about stuff like that.

Actually, I'm in bad standing with ALPA and enjoying it very much....Ironically, I helped write the Agency Shop language we have....

You never answered my questions:

1. How did fatigue factor into this crash?

2. What has ALPA done to address the lack of experience issue?

Be careful what you wish for....The cure may be worse....

Actually, I'm in bad standing with ALPA and enjoying it very much....Ironically, I helped write the Agency Shop language we have....

You never answered my questions:

1. How did fatigue factor into this crash?

2. What has ALPA done to address the lack of experience issue?

Be careful what you wish for....The cure may be worse....

You're in bad standing with ALPA so why do you care what my answers are? If you really want me to answer, I'd tell you that ALPA has never done ANYTHING for ANY pilot EVER in its history, EVER. That's what you want to hear, right?

So like I said, sit back and don't worry about anything having to do with ALPA. When they help come up with their new rules, I'll send you a PM with a link to the thread and then you can tell us all about the utter failure the new rules are, how the old ones were better, and how ALPA failed in that matter as well.

Not a single regional guy on the panel!! I guess the longhaul rest rules will be REALLY nice and we'll keep our 8hr reduced rests!

I thought that I read that there was a Mesa guy on the panel? I'll try to find where I read it.

edit: From post 1 on this thread:

First up, fatigue. After decades of your union’s lobbying for new standards for pilot flight time and rest, and constant testimony before Congress and the U.S. administration over the past two years, I am extremely encouraged to report that last week, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced plans to form an Aviation Rulemaking Committee (ARC) to develop new standards. We’ve been notified that we will have a seat on the ARC and your union will work to assist in modernizing the regulations to create innovative solutions to make a safe industry even safer. Let me tell you the rest of the story. ALPA will have five seats at the ARC and will be one of the co-chairs. I have appointed Captain Don Wykoff, my executive administrator who also serves as chairman of ALPA’s FTDT Committee and Blue Ribbon Panel on Pilot Fatigue, to lead our contingent of staff and pilot experts on the FAA’s ARC. From across our 36 airlines, I have named to the ARC four other pilot experts who engage in all types of flying. These pilots fly for Mesa, Continental, United, Delta, and FedEx—but on this panel they will be ALPA experts and leaders who will represent all 54,000 of us.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm in bad standing with ALPA and enjoying it very much

There's something to be proud of. :rolleyes:

I hope Newie takes it all the way through to termination.

There's something to be proud of. :rolleyes:

I hope Newie takes it all the way through to termination.

If so, he can feel those free market forces.... maybe take that great ATR job in India he keeps advocating...

Latest resources

Back