• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
USAPA Letter from former ALPA EVP

10Apr2008)
Fellow pilots,
We received just this morning the following letter which we thought you might find interesting. We present it here unedited.
April 10, 2008
Fellow US Airways Pilots,
As the election for union representation draws to a close, I thought I would share some of my experiences on ALPA and thoughts on an election that will affect you and your families for years to come. I spent much of my career volunteering on behalf of my fellow pilots. Having served 7 ½ years as Captain Representative and LEC Chair and a term as an EVP on the ALPA executive council in the 1980's gave me much insight on the workings of ALPA.
It was my own feeling that Pilot unity was on the down swing in the 70's as airlines were starting to compete on more routes and of course this greatly accelerated in 1978 at the turn of deregulation. It was a great disappointment when ALPA did not seize the opportunity to institute a National Seniority list and some method of National contract provisions to counter the effects of deregulation. For all intents and purposes, true brotherhood was dead in this profession. All though many claims to the contrary are made and you see it every monthly ALPA magazine, any system where one man's gain comes at another's expense will evolve into a battle of competing interests. It has been evidenced many times over the last 30 years, whether it be the demise of Braniff or PAN Am, or the failure of Eastern or debacle at Continental. None of these pilots were protected and in the example of the latter two, fellow ALPA pilots marched to work through their picket lines. In the end, despite claims of National Affiliation, each pilot group in ALPA is in competition with each other due to the nature of our industry. None of the devices like national seniority are in place that prevent it.
Nor did ALPA fundamentally change its style of negotiations in the face of the whole scale industry change that came with deregulation and kept utilizing pilot negotiators, while the airlines all moved toward high paid, hired guns to negotiate for them. Several times during my tenure as one of your MEC members, I advocated to no avail of hiring outside law firms to negotiate on behalf of the pilots but was unable to achieve this end. A problem that would not exist in an independent union with a Constitution that mandated it. ALPA's scheme of pattern bargaining has been a dismal failure. It's attempt to create similar contracts amongst its largest members has worked in creating conditions when considering inflation where pilots work today in terms of pay, benefits, work rules and retirement for less than 50% than they did 20 years ago. Pattern bargaining has no counter to the competitive effects of airline competition, poor management, or the economic down cycle. It is not surprising that independent unions like American, Southwest, UPS, or even AirTran have contracts that exceed those of ALPA legacy carriers. The pilots of these carriers have direct ownership of their union all the way to the top and receive representation and service that is geared 100% to their members.
In my early career, I experienced several disappointments in the representation received by ALPA. In 1967, with just a couple years on the property, I witnessed the formation of the first Allegheny code share, utilizing another companies aircraft and pilots not on our seniority list. The structure of ALPA is supposed to be both local and National with the national structure looking out for the best interest of the profession. It was hard to fathom, that the president of a union would knowingly sign a contract that allowed pilot work to be outsourced creating a whipsaw environment. Where was ALPA? In the decades that followed, they spent much of their time organizing these carriers to expand their dues base and little of their effort to reverse course or even negotiate contracts that were worthy of professional airline pilots at the regionals where outsourced work went. Again in the early seventies more work was outsourced as the airline parked CV-580's to combat high fuel prices. Some of this flying was outsourced and rather than ensure the flying was covered by pilots on our list covered and by our contract the Nord program was created. A so called soft landing giving opportunity for our fellow furloughed pilots to fly these aircraft, carrying the same passengers as before but for inferior pay and benefits. It must sound eerily reminiscent of recent years. Where was ALPA?
When I took office in Pittsburgh in 1983, many of these feelings were expressed in local LEC meetings. At that time, many meetings had several hundred pilots attending. Our pilots had witnessed the failure of ALPA to change with deregulation, the failure to support the Air Traffic Controllers strike, the downfall of Braniff, and the turmoil beginning at Continental. Many pilots were very vocal in questioning ALPA's ineffectiveness to deal with these major crises and wondered what was the purpose of supporting and being tied to a multi-company union when there was no unity and no collective will to tackle the changing environment. I agreed and was always very candid. Even as a ALPA Captain Representative and then the second largest LEC in ALPA, I told the pilot group there was better to be had independently but someone would have to take charge an do something. While I served I would do the best that I could for change in ALPA but my primary goal was to preserve, enhance, and protect the contract. In 1985, the B-Scale was instituted, yet another divisive failure pitting pilots against each other. I fought hard against it and looked to ALPA for support but could find none, either local or national. Where was ALPA?
I served time as an ALPA executive vice president on the executive council from 1986-1988. I tried to advocate on many issues such as National seniority, reversing outsourcing and bringing express pilots on our lists, and a coherent merger policy. The lack of any political will to tackle anything that would be politically charged was disheartening and to witness it in the environment of the spending largess off the backs of rank and file pilots left a bitter taste. It was an elephant and ant problem, rife with conflicts of interest that surely still exists today and the people in office were doing quite fine for themselves and liked the atmosphere of three piece suits and briefcases. The majority of my time serving as LEC chair and EVP, I flew my time on the line. It was very apparent to me that in order for a rep to retain advocacy for his fellow pilots, he had to be walking in their shoes and make himself available as possible for face to face interaction. From first hand experiences at working within ALPA it was clear that the upside down pyramid, was anything but and would as such have a corrupting influence. The National structure created a environment where mistaken allegiances, career seeking, and forgetting your roots thrive.
While serving as an EVP, a group of our local US Airways pilots made a presentation to the ALPA executive council to make a priority of recapturing code share flying by having the pilots placed on our seniority list. The idea was taken “under advisement” and met with no success. Yet when questions were proffered on how a national union representing mainline and code share pilots with clear competing interests could do so with any integrity, no answers were ever offered.
With regards to merger policy, while serving on the national merger committee in 1986 an effort was mad to have DOH inserted. It took a broad coalition of many of the represented carriers to effect that change. It was a change that was opposed by several of the larger ALPA carriers. The hope was as mergers were quickly becoming a part of the airline industry a non-arbitrary method of integration could be supported so ultimately our efforts could remain on enhancing our careers instead of yet more divisive infighting and competing interests. Sadly DOH was under assault from the beginning and change was attempted at the next BOD in 88. After I left office it was changed in 1991 to what exists today and created the unholy Nicolau award. An award by its very nature that attacks longevity which is the very foundation of seniority in a union environment. This surely drives home the point that in a union of multiple carriers without true national seniority provisions, that nothing is sacred or bedrock and everything is subject to change at the whim of the elephants of the day.
I have two sons today that are airline pilots, both for ALPA carriers and I still care about the profession very much. I have counseled them both on the ill affects of ALPA representation and the benefits to be gained by independent representation. Following this election, many thing have already been illustrated that portend a better future with USAPA. A group of pilot volunteers flying full schedules have been able to effectively replace all ALPA insurances and services, draft a constitution that limits abuses of power by leadership and utilize professional negotiators. They did on your behalf what it takes hundreds of six digit or near six digit salaried personnel at ALPA national do. Doing this under the assault of the ALPA political machine speaks volumes to what you can achieve collectively.

Last edited:
Part II

In 1992 major permanent changes to our contract were made in regards to duty rigs and work rules. Where was ALPA? I was part of a similar group to USAPA in 1992 trying to establish an independent union and unfortunately we didn’t achieve the 50% +1 of the cards necessary for calling an election. When I look at the decimation of the contract and conditions since my retirement in 1998, whether it be the pension, vacation, work rules, sick leave, pay, furloughs, or outsourcing of thousands of more jobs, I am in disbelief. I am sure you are wondering, where was ALPA? When looking at the injustices of the Nicolau seniority award and why the national union merger policy didn’t ensure a more fair integration, ask yourself where was ALPA? The counter argument is that you are ALPA and if that is truly so, why does the lion's share of your dues support the national structure. Why do they continue to advocate the benefits of being in a grand union with many carriers and tens of thousands of pilots if they clearly abrogate all responsibility in negotiating failures? Why support a structure with so called "experts" if they serve no real purpose?
I am glad to see progress to this point and I am hopeful for the needed change that will bring about better representation to those I had the privilege of flying with and those who came after my time at US Airways. USAPA has my full support and I urge you to look past all the propaganda that would try to cast fear and doubt and instead look at what has been achieved and what will continue under a union that you have full ownership of. A union where 100% of the dues will be used in support of your needs and not to enrich the lifestyles of those at National headquarters.
I recently viewed Captain Kernan’s video and thought it would be important to hear from another voice of that era. I worked many years with Captain Joe Kernan. He unselfishly served the pilots of US Airways. He was one of the truly dedicated pilot advocates I served with, however I have to respectfully disagree with his position on this election.
To all that I flew with, it was a pleasure sharing the flight deck with you and thanks for a career of 32 years where every trip I had was a great one.
Sincerely,
Roger Hall
Retired US Airways
Former ALPA LEC Chair, Captain Representative, and EVP

In November, 1963, on that grassy knoll in Dallas, our president was shot. WHERE WAS ALPA?

No doubt about it: ALPA sucks. The issue at hand is that USAPA sucks worse. Easy choice.
It is not surprising that independent unions like American, Southwest, UPS, or even AirTran have contracts that exceed those of ALPA legacy carriers.
I love it when somebody brings up this BS argument. Those carriers have decent or superior contracts because they haven't recently gone through Chapter 11. The fact that they're not ALPA has ZERO to do with their relative prosperity.

www.usapa.org

Nor did ALPA fundamentally change its style of negotiations in the face of the whole scale industry change that came with deregulation and kept utilizing pilot negotiators, while the airlines all moved toward high paid, hired guns to negotiate for them. Several times during my tenure as one of your MEC members, I advocated to no avail of hiring outside law firms to negotiate on behalf of the pilots but was unable to achieve this end.
Roger Hall Problem: I can't convince USAirways pilots to do something

Roger Hall Solution: Replace the USAirways pilots with more USAirways pilots...then blame ALPA
In my early career, I experienced several disappointments in the representation received by ALPA. In 1967, with just a couple years on the property, I witnessed the formation of the first Allegheny code share, utilizing another companies aircraft and pilots not on our seniority list. The structure of ALPA is supposed to be both local and National with the national structure looking out for the best interest of the profession. It was hard to fathom, that the president of a union would knowingly sign a contract that allowed pilot work to be outsourced creating a whipsaw environment.
Roger Hall Problem: A while ago, my fellow USAirways pilots took charge of our own destiny and allowed a code share. ALPA's president did not stop our stupid decision.

Roger Hall Solution: Remove ALPA's president so that we will still have USAirways pilots making stupid decisions, but nobody else to blame.
ALPA's scheme of pattern bargaining has been a dismal failure.
riiiiiiiight.
While serving as an EVP, a group of our local US Airways pilots made a presentation to the ALPA executive council to make a priority of recapturing code share flying by having the pilots placed on our seniority list. The idea was taken “under advisement” and met with no success.
He apparently thinks that the USAirways scope clause is negotiated by the executive council and not the AAA MEC.

This guy sat on the EC and the AAA MEC for years and acts attempts to blame everybody but himself for the state of USAirways?? That's like Dick Cheney blaming the current administration for the war in Iraq.

After reading his letter, I'm starting to realize why he was apparently ineffective in his position

After reading his letter, I'm starting to realize why he was apparently ineffective in his position

I think it's blatantly obvious that Roger was nothing but another JoeMerchant clone. Zero political acumen, unable to work well with others, so he lashes out at the easiest target. Pretty sad. Back to the shuffle-board court, Roger.

I think it's blatantly obvious that Roger was nothing but another JoeMerchant clone. Zero political acumen, unable to work well with others, so he lashes out at the easiest target. Pretty sad. Back to the shuffle-board court, Roger.

.....the politicians are doing so well.....:rolleyes: Politicians care first and foremost about holding on to their positions......

They've done a lot better than you have, Joey. How much did you accomplish again? Oh, that's right, you couldn't even get some Local Council meeting minutes turned in. Hell of a record you've got. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back