Let's Start an Airline-Hypothetically

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
enigma,

I am one of those very pilots I was talking about. The folks you mentioned were very poor examples of how real managers should act. Lorenzo was out to put the company down, period. I am not saying it is a one way street. Bad CEOs have ruined many of the best airlines in the business. I do agree with Publishers that us pilots do tend to be more vocal, as a group, than any other single group of workers that I know of. Maybe that is because we can figure out some of the shenanigans that are taking place. There are a couple of airline CEOs that seem to have backing from their workforce, from what I have read. As I said, people are just people, regardless of their position in life.

I am still a pilot first, foremost and always will be.

comparisons

Enigma

The comparison between Don, Leo, and Frank is really not fair nor does it reflect what I was talking about.

The fact that Don and Leo were trying to line their golden egg was more bad taste due to the timing than something not appropriate for people in their position.

In either case, I do not find either one of them to have the kind of employee bashing traits I see here.

As to Frank Lorenzo, you are talking about a totally different subject adn should put him more in the category of Carl Ichan.

They are not managers of people but traders of companies and assets. I have known a number of these people in both aviation and other businesses. Their interest does not lie in running companies. They trade for the value just like they were stocks.

The point of whether these people were great managers or even crooks, has absolutely nothing to do with the point I made as to their attitude towards employees.

Re: comparisons

Publishers said:
Enigma

The comparison between Don, Leo, and Frank is really not fair nor does it reflect what I was talking about.
The point of whether these people were great managers or even crooks, has absolutely nothing to do with the point I made as to their attitude towards employees.

Pub, My words were written as a specific response to this: The boredom sometimes results in creating little things to talk about....this is just one of them. I quoted Astra, not you. You may be correct in your perception, but that's a different topic. Astra asserted that pilots create things to talk about. I countered with a few examples of real issues that pilots talk about.

Now let me hijack the thread a little. If I've read you correctly, you believe that pilots just don't have the total picture in regards to running a profitable airline. You are probably somewhat correct. Pilots may attach personal animosity to management actions that were in no way personal. In some instances that is unfair, but fair or not, correct or not, managers need to deal with those perceptions.

How do YOU deal with a pilot who distrusts you as a manager because of misperceptions developed by the Lorenzos of the world? How do you convince me that my base closure was the result of economics instead of your need to exert more control over a group of "maverick" pilots? How do you convince me that my loyalty to you will ever be repaid?

enigma

Astra Guy said:
The folks you mentioned were very poor examples of how real managers should act.

I didn't mention those managers to accuse or defend them. I mentioned them to illustrate that your statement about pilots creating things to gripe about was incorrect.

And another thing! If you, Publishers and a few other management apologists would ever sit back and realize that maybe we're not just bichin, you might well be able to develop programs and processes that could make more money for us all. For example, In an organization I have worked for, the payroll department was continually screwed up. Ninety percent of the mistakes were in their favor. Pilots gripe to upper management and get dismissed because they assume that we are all trying to work the system for more pay. In the end, they end up paying the error. They not only pay it, they pay it with a paper check delivered by FedEx overnight. They continued to make the same mistakes over and over. It was bound to have cost them a ton just in FedEx charges, but they didn't wouldn't fix the system. So we gripe.

At another job with the initials MESA, Larry loved to publicly state that FO's should be paying him for the privege of flying his airplanes. (Little did we know that he would soon figure a way to make this come to pass) He had a public dislike for pilots.

Let me ask the same question that I have past asked; Why do you suppose that employees who enjoy their job so much that they are willing to do it for almost nothing, employees who come to the first day of class with a smile one mile wide, employees who start their career like a Saturn V, become so jaded so quickly? Why? All one need do is read the words posted here by the guys who finally got the call; you never hear any griping then do you? No you don't and it's because those people are truly pumped to have been asked to join the team. They are excited to be working for you, they want to succeed. Yet in a relatively short time, they are reduced to people who" create reasons to gripe".

Maybe it's just me, but I think that they start griping because of they way they are treated.

In initial gs once, the CP showed up to visit the class and spent an hour telling us how he expected us to be a bunch of slackers, etc. He took twenty guys who were ecstatic to be there and dumped cold water on us.

If ya'll are really trying to run your virtual airline in such a way as to keep unions out, you will need to identify the reasons that pilots show up so happy. Find that out, and work hard to maintain an atmosphere that encourages those feelings.

regards,
enigma

Point-to-point service

Astra Guy said:
I personally like the point to point system, as well. Once we get more data on building our route structure then we can start working on the trip scenarios. My gut feeling is that we should serve the densely populated areas first. Of course we have to bounce that concept off of the competition and try not to pile on an already saturated market.
The exceptions to point-to-point service would be for feeding our trunk line. (When was the last time you heard that term?). For that we would use our own regional (feeder) line, as discussed above. No code-sharing, contracting-out to Mesa, or any of that malarkey. Our feeder-line pilots would be part of our overall system, our employees, and would hold seniority numbers with our company, eligible for any line and equipment their seniority can hold.

concept

With a larger operation, it probably would not work but in our 135 many years ago, I insisted that the pilots take an hour once or twice a month and I went over our financials.

They really did not like it much but it helped them understand where we were coming from. As we had a much bigger company as parent, there was a tendency to think that the company has plenty of money, why do we need to be concerned with our spending.

One problem with the pilot core is that they are not around the business offices very much if at all. They do not get the sense of belonging or reinforcement that other employees do.

As to pilot loyalty Enigma, I never saw much of it. There was a certain amount of pride in our organization because we did things the proper way and you were never embarrassed by the equipment, no matter what is was. Still, the fact is that anytime someone could leave for a bigger or better piece of equipment, they were long gone.

Now I do not want to be branded a managment loyalist like my friend Enigma would say, but the examples of Don Carty and Leo Mullin are people far removed from direct management of an empoyee group.

Look at some guys like Connie Kalitta or Del Smith, or Bob Fleming if you want to talk about people who were a bit tough on their employee groups.

Hey Guys,

I will make one final post about people stuff until after we get other issues worked out like routes and airplanes.

This company will not be like what most of you have experienced. First of all everyone who interviews will have a thumb nail sketch of where we are and where we intend to go. Along with that for those who are at the top of the heap will get more information which will make it clear what the companies expectations are of the company and each individual. Many of the problems are created by unrealized expectations. The loss of halo effect is one example. Maybe what was promised never was actualized. I think if everyone has realistic expectations and the company does everything they can to live up to those expectations then there will be fewer problems.

The action by the CP who poured cold water is new employees has no place in our business....he would never be the CP.

On the financial example that Pub brought up I think it is important to share the financial information frequently with everyone. There would even be training on how to read financial statements. It would stimulate questions and hopefully answers as to why things are the way they are. I get monthly financials from our company. I share those with each of my folks and encourage their questions. It is important for everyone to be on the same page. Lots of misunderstandings can be avoided and if things aren't too keen then everyone should know why.

It is difficult to explain everything without talking eyeball to eyeball. Something that takes 20 posts to get to the bottom of could be handled in an hour long conversation with the group and there would be no misunderstandings. Everyone might not agree but as a minimum everyone would be understood.

Now I intend to move forward after we get some more statistical data on possible routes and airplanes. Then we can start dealing with feeding the horse that pulls the cart.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone.

Astra Guy said:
There are a number of private investors that want to start an airline. They want to be the leader in customer service and consistent high levels of performance and reliability. They are in the exploraty stage of building this airline. Because they know that their ultimate success will be dependent upon hiring highly qualified and motivated employees, they are willing to permit six members of the 11 member board of directors to come from their workforce. Members of the board will serve no longer than two years.

The investors are adament about keeping their workforce non-union and are willing to pay above median scale to accomplish this.

Due to your airline experience and apparent business knowledge from testing they want you to join their team. Your input will help establish pay rates, upgrade times, work rules, benefits etc., as a minimum but they are also looking for input in all areas of their operation.

OK Astra, which is it? Should your intentions be gleaned from your first post, quoted above? Or from the last, quoted here, "Now I intend to move forward after we get some more statistical data on possible routes and airplanes. Then we can start dealing with feeding the horse that pulls the cart"?

To me, your initial post indicates that this was an exercise in keeping unions out. Now you have shifted to operations, What gives?

enigma:confused:

routes

While obviously the route structure proposed needs some study, my first blush is that you are concentrating on longer routes which in some cases produce the absolute worst yields per mile.

I heard that even Jetblue is looking at giving up the long route.

You might want to look at a longer route like miami chicago non stop then fly it one stop at discount then non stop.

enigma,

There isn't a shift in focus. The first post is still right on. We have had a number of ideas and thoughts about the people side so far. How are we to determine how many non-union people we need until we get the operations side together?

With a basic core of ideas on how to treat people fairly we need to establish our market, route structure and airplanes. This seems pretty obvious to me. We have some folks working on this and once we kick around and come to decisions on these aspects then we can start to build.

Latest resources

Back