Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
S

sunlitpath

I am tired of lame old ALPA and their tired old game. Let's start an in-house union at ASA. The dues would be less expensive and the service would be better. How do you vote out a union? I will ask my friends at US Air and see what it takes. It's time for a change.

Your friends at US Air would probably tell you they made a mistake. But good luck. I predict this thread will go longer than your union drive does.

This is an exploratory idea. My friends at US Air hate ALPA forever. I don't hate APLA. I just see them as obsolete. I think we may be better served by an in-house union. It seems to work well at other airlines. An in-house union would be more responsive to the needs of the pilot group. I think we need representation, but ALPA has done nothing for me or ASA, and their are many pilots at ASA who share this opinion. I know ALPA will resist this effort vigorously. They fear losing the revenue more than anything else.

I am tired of lame old ALPA and their tired old game. Let's start an in-house union at ASA. The dues would be less expensive and the service would be better. How do you vote out a union? I will ask my friends at US Air and see what it takes. It's time for a change.

YAWN.

Tell me how an inhouse union funded by 1700 underpaid pilots will provide better Legal and Medical coverage than ALPA has for us?

I have never needed or used the legal/medical coverage at ALPA. I think most pilots never use it. So we are paying for services that are used by a few. That is an over payment right there. 1700 pilots multilpied by an average salary of $60,000 a year, multiplied by 1% (half of ALPA Dues) = $1,020,000. Yes, that is over one million dollars a year. ALPA is a scam. One million dollars a year buys a lot more coverage for medical and legal issues than ALPA provides. That tired old justification for keeping ALPA has expired. My god, that's a full time doctor and lawyer on call 24 hours a day! With money left over. Do the math. We are paying the bills for ALPA pilots at the majors. F those guys. They make twice as much. Let's start thinking of ASA pilots, We don't need ALPA

While being a one or two trick pony is not normally associated with an effective organization, I would submit the national level advocacy for safety and the pilot profession can only be forwarded by ALPA.

I think we may be better served by an in-house union. It seems to work well at other airlines.

No it doesn't. At AirTran we just kicked out our worthless independent union and voted in ALPA because independent unions are nothing more than a giant toilet where your cash gets flushed every month. The improvement since getting ALPA on the property has been incredible.

I know ALPA will resist this effort vigorously. They fear losing the revenue more than anything else.

Getting rid of a carrier like ASA would be a break-even proposition for ALPA. You don't bring in any excess revenue. Only the legacies bring in more money than they spend. ALPA doesn't care about your revenue. They want to represent all pilots because it's best for all of us. One union gives our profession the most leverage.

Latest resources

Back