• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let's say you had a giant treadmill with an airplane on it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember flying with a loser captain who thought our airplane's lethargic climb rate one day was due to having a tailwind. (note: I didn't say "increasing tailwind component") Upon query his response was that he had 5000 hours and knew what he was talking about. I found out from his buddies that he was a logbook pencil-whipper as well.

But those are the guys that can be the most fun to fly with...as long as it is a short trip.

So if I land an amphibious airplane on a frozen lake, using the wheels, can I log it as a water landing?

Thats pretty d*mn funny. Good question though.. makes you go hmmmmmm

Okay the most important question of this thread is do you drink alone?

Well, who in their right mind would be social drinking and posting on this thread? Of course we drink alone!

I just miss this thread.

Me too!

It's a totem of the Forum. A sign that rational professionals (and SWA/FO) can vigorously disagree on a hypothetical that is simply applied physics.

Go back (when you're reeeeeally bored!) and note the number of posts that don't address the issue, or even the science of the issue...but only the poster.

I attended a squadron reunion a month ago and used the Plane-On-A-Treadmill question to change the subject when a couple of my buddies were reminiscing about the time I ripped the basket off a KC-130 over the Sea of Japan. I left the table just as their argument over the solution got heated, satisfied that I'd just inititiated two brethren into the "Fraternal Order Of The POATA".

It's viral among pilots.

I thought I would dust off this old gem to kill the PIC thread.

Let's say you had a giant treadmill with an airplane on it.

As you add power and begin to move for the takoff roll, the treadmill speeds up and keeps the plane in the same relative position. As the plane goes faster, the treadmill speeds up, always maintaining the aircraft's relative position.

Would you ever be able to take off?

GO!!

hang on, i need more info to work out this problem.....

okay, what is the weight of the aircraft?
what is the tail number?
what is the barometric pressure, is it standard?
is a revenue flight, ferry flight, charter, or just a Mx flight.
what is the brand of the treadmill?
does the aircraft have a parachute?

Latest resources

Back