Let's hear about your daredevil phase

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WrightAvia said:
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof.

"Since youse still kinda green mebbe I might better clues you in on a few things," Jimmy said. "When ya f*cks up in a airplane ya gots four choices."
"Four?"
"Yep. Ya kin tells the truth, which nobody ever does 'less they's crazy. Or ya kin tells the right lie. Or ya kin tells the wrong lie."
"What's the Fourth?" I asked.
"What we jist did. Ya doesn't say sh*t ta nobody. Ya getting any o' this pardner?"

An excerpt from Moondog's Academy of the Air and Other Disasters by Pete Fusco. Perhaps one of the finest books ever written about the beginnings of a professional pilot.

Haha that's funny.

How about a flying story?

My most dare devil / stupid story was in the Army. Two OH58s decide to go out in the mountains and play hide and seek. It was great... Flying low level through canyons and then up one side of the mountain and down the other.. Fun until you're going up one side while the other guy is going up the other. At some point you meet in the middle..

Now we're talking!

Nice one Chopper guy. Reminds me of my *first* daredevil phase.

Singlecoil, you are truly a brave warrior. But I can guess what time of the year you tried the seat installation stunt because if it was January there was no way on Earth I'd be able to get all those seats *and* the pins in in less than 30 minutes--on the ground!!

Other than a brief stint as a jump pilot, I haven't really done any commercial flying, so I haven't had the pressure to do much dumb sh*t yet. But there's one decision I wish I could have back, although it turned out okay anyway.

One night I was flying IFR in a 172R, and during my climb my vacuum pump decided to pack it in. The base of the overcast I was currently sitting in was at about 650'. About 10 minutes away is a nice big airport with ILS approaches to nice big parallel runways. So what does my dumb @ss do? Turn around and shoot the NDB approach at my home airport. Not because I was "too macho" to head over and fly the ILS. I just didn't think about it.

The NDB approach was uneventful, but still, it was an idiotic decision.

BankAccount=0$ said:
"Since youse still kinda green mebbe I might better clues you in on a few things," Jimmy said. "When ya f*cks up in a airplane ya gots four choices."
"Four?"
"Yep. Ya kin tells the truth, which nobody ever does 'less they's crazy. Or ya kin tells the right lie. Or ya kin tells the wrong lie."
"What's the Fourth?" I asked.
"What we jist did. Ya doesn't say sh*t ta nobody. Ya getting any o' this pardner?"

An excerpt from Moondog's Academy of the Air and Other Disasters by Pete Fusco. Perhaps one of the finest books ever written about the beginnings of a professional pilot.

Gotta second that. I keep that book next to my bed, if I can't fall asleep, or think i've got it bad, I just open up to a random page and start readin'. Great Book.

Back when I was in High School, me and a buddy skipped class one day and took his 65 hp T-Craft BC-12D out in some empty Texas sky. We found some real benign looking cumulus at around 2500', and practiced some actual IFR. Neither of us had an Instrument rating, and the T-craft certainly wasn't equipped. However, when things got un-manageable, we just throttled back to idle, pulled on the carb heat, and let the T-craft have her head. She always took care of us and we'd pop out the bottom in a fairly reasonable attitude and well within redline.....

Pretty dumb, but we're all immortal at 17, aren't we?
:D

I was in a twin otter that was flying so low, the GPWS thought we where on the ground. It just stoped talking.

I have to laugh when I think back to my flying days in Houston.:D
The dumbest thing I have done was getting talked into renting a V-35 out of (HOU) with a fellow Delta Airlines employee and taking two girls up (to impress) with us on a night flight from HOU to GLS and back. Never get talked into flying a plane just to "impress" someone. Anyways, I flew the leg down to GLS (uneventful) and the other guy was flying the leg back into HOU. He takes off and retracts the gear and continues to let the airspeed build as he stays ten feet off of the runway then with lotsa force he yanks the yoke back and for a split second I thought we lost the tail of the plane, he then heads right for the Gulf and puts the plane into a 60 degree climbing turn towards the water and things were a flying all over the place. The girls were not digging this at all.:D :D When we finally got back into Hobby I was happy to be on the ground as I am sure was the case with the two girls in the back.

I never heard from the girls again and I think I only flew with this guy like one other time.

:rolleyes:

3 5 0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back