Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let hostess land the plane in a crisis, says Ryanair: Airline wants to ditch co-pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let stewardesses land the plane in a crisis..

Daily Mail said:
Ryanair's ever-controversial boss has called for the second pilot to be dumped from the flight deck of aircraft to save money. Michael O'Leary suggested air stewardesses could be trained to take over and land the plane in the event of a crisis.

The idea is the latest in a long line of cash-saving wheezes from the budget airline boss who once suggested, apparently seriously, that aircraft could fly with standing-only areas for passengers.

Mr O'Leary suggested ripping up the existing safety regime in a magazine interview. 'Why does every plane have two pilots? Really, you only need one pilot,' he said.

Suggesting flying a plane was little more difficult than playing a computer game, he said: 'Let's take out the second pilot. Let the bloody computer fly it.' Asked what would happen if the single pilot suffered a heart attack, he said one of the cabin crew would be trained to land a plane.

'If the pilot has an emergency, he rings the bell, he calls her in. She could take over,' he told Bloomberg BusinessWeek.

Source

Happy Labor Day!

Forget about the idea of FAs landing airplanes, check out those hot stews in their calendar!!!!! Never see stews like that in the States.

How about replace the ego-maniac, labor hating, little leprechaun that runs the company? That save a lot of Euros. Can have people write in crazy ideas for free.

Here's a better idea- let the stewardesses run the airline, thereby saving a lot of money by not employing such a buffoon.

Apparently, he's figured out how to save on their advertising costs- he just makes these ridiculous pronouncements in order to get the free press . . . . and they give it to him.

I'm all for good PR, but now he's totally trivializing our profession. Are Ryan Air pilots going to stand up to this guy? Probably not... Are IALPA and/or International ALPA going to say anything? I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Forget about the idea of FAs landing airplanes, check out those hot stews in their calendar!!!!! Never see stews like that in the States.

... and you usually don't see 'em on Ryanair flights either! At least from what I saw at their BHX base!

This actually belongs in the foreign carrier lounge. Good article though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back