Les Abend

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jbDC9 said:
Yep, you got a point here; I joined EAA 3-4 years ago and generally like their magazine, but it is getting kinda shiny and fancy... but they still run articles on some pretty basic little homebuilts, which is nice. Now some of the advertising, on the other hand, just kills me. There's an ad for an EFIS system from Chelton Flight Systems, bragging about the low low rock bottom pricing... and I quote; "Now. It's not a question of can I afford this, but rather, stack it or install it side by side?" A few lines down is the real gem; "And with a bottom line price of $24,900-it's not about affordability anymore." Huh?? 25 grand for a couple of EFIS tubes with a GPS built in??? I was pretty much speechless when I read that ad. Amazing that they think $25,000 is cheap or affordable. I thought ads like that only ran in Flying...

They're not getting any of my money, my RV is gonna have needle/ball/airspeed with a com and transponder. Done. Cheap(er).

I seriously suggest that you obtain a set of Sport Aviation mags from the seventies. You will throw the modern versions out asap. I'll guarantee that a reasonable intelligent individual could design and build a successful aircraft just using the inf found on those pages. As I mentioned, Mr. Tony Bingalis from Georgetown, TX was the resident building guru; he built like seven aircraft and I'd bet that he never invested more than $20 Grand (todays dollars) in any airplane he built. He wrote a couple of books of building tips which should still be available form the EAA aka Extravagant Airplane Association.

You should be able to find a decent deal on old SA magazines at most all airmeet flymarkets.

Hobbes

Edit: how this for hijacking the thread away from the arrogant Arse's of modern aviation publications?

Great story !

While in line for TO he is still asking the FO questions, he asks... "in the B757, can the FO seat see the right engine from looking out the window" ... as the FO begins to turn around to look (big mistake) the Capt hits him on the head with the book ! I said to myself this is going from bad to worse... I decided that if the FO killed the Capt in route I would testify on the FO's behalf that it was self defense.

Thanks for the story ATCER, I could not help laughing out loud.

Last edited:
I don't know Les, but there is a reason he calls "positive rate" for himself as the pilot flying, that happens to be procedure at the airline he flies for.
Thanks, but we cleared that up a couple of pages ago.

Airliner World a UK based publication is worth a look. They concentrate, as the title would suggest, on airlines and have a fair amount of recent news with lots of pictures. The pictures part keeps the aircraft spotters in the UK happy.

TP

Typhoon,

So how hot is it in Dubai these days? If I had to live in the middle east that would probably be the best place. That's not saying much.

sidesaddle said:
Thanks for the story ATCER, I could not help laughing out loud.
I'm glad you liked it... it was such a weird flight, that is why I remember it. I started to lean forward and look to my right in unison with the FO (I was seated behind Capt.) and was so not ready for the Capt's hitting him on the head. I was frozen in place... I wasn't sure what to expect, the air had a tense feeling to it, but then they both cracked uneasy grins and went about business. I think we were on a 767, he kept starting each question with (in cool pilot voice) On the B767... what is the proper tork specification for the left hand threading inverted double barrel locking back screws for the toilet seat in the first class latrine ??? I'm sitting there like WTF ??? Then the FO would answer... Something like... 29.3 inch pounds. I'm now blown away that he answered with something that sounded good, Capt know it all responed the same to everything... Ummm... you're half right, technically you should have done the proper conversion and answered 234.743218 to the 10th power hecto pascals (or some crap like that)... Have you ever seen an FO and a jumpseat passenger sit and cry on the flight deck ??? We were close that day...

I sat here the other night after I first found the thread and started to wonder if this was the guy. I did a search online and found his picture which looked familiar from what I could remember, then I read he works for AAL. Now, AAflyer (thanx man ! ;) ) confirmed that he was on the LAX-JFK runs in that time period... it has to be him.

It was such a long weird flight. Like I stated earlier, I don't think he was really a bad guy, I just remember thinking he had a real personality disorder.

It averages 40 to 41 degrees Celcius as a high in the summer. At least for the two summers I have been here. We're close to the water so that helps keep things a little more temperate.

TP

I can t believe that I just sat here and read all six pages of this thread on what is the best avaition mag out there.....Jeez can you say get a life...but then again some of the smart a$$ replies are worth it.

Just saw this:
EagleRJ said:
Some AA pilots I've seen look like Yoda raising the X-wing out of the swamp.
:D LMAO! That's funny!

(You attended the Dennis Miller School of Obscure References, didn't you Race Bannon? :D )

Yesterday at the local library, I picked up a copy of an old (and very thick) FLYING compilation of articles from the 40s to the 70s .... AWESOME! Nothing like the pap smear they put out today.

I also picked up a copy of Bach's 'Stranger to the Ground' and stayed up most of the night trying to finish it. It was the most interesting and well-written aviation book I think I've ever read. Period.

(Of course ... none of them holds a candle to Peter Micheal Bufoonton's story of being an Eagle FO in SJ. :D :D :D)

Minhommad the Muslim Sausage King

Latest resources

Back