• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LEO's armed on airplanes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a legacy of Sept. 11, officers of the California Highway Patrol will be trained to thwart airline hijackings and will carry loaded weapons aboard flights within the state when they travel on official business.
Under the program, initiated by Gov. Gray Davis and approved this week by the Federal Aviation Administration, the special training is to be given to all the Highway Patrol's 8,500 officers.
''We're growing wings,'' said Tom Marshall, a spokesman for the agency.

I guess you proved yourself wrong. So like SuperFLUF said they have to have a class and be on official business.

I'll repeat: "Not true in California, all sworn officers are encouraged to carry weapons intra-state."

You are wrong, I am correct. It is not related to FARs, it is related to a California State law. The LEOs have to do the same stuff feds do, but they get to carry when local cops in other states only get to carry if they have a letter from their boss authorizing.

No letter for local cops needed in California.

Again, and I'll repeat. State law does not overide Federal law. Many states and municipalities encourage their peace officers to carry at all times (within limits).

The last time I had some official training on this specific issue was well after 9/11 and the Federal stance on this is that a letter is required. Even for California.

If this requirement has been changed they forgot to notify my airline and a large group of Federal law enforcement officers.

Again, and I'll repeat. State law does not overide Federal law. Many states and municipalities encourage their peace officers to carry at all times (within limits).

The last time I had some official training on this specific issue was well after 9/11 and the Federal stance on this is that a letter is required. Even for California.

If this requirement has been changed they forgot to notify my airline and a large group of Federal law enforcement officers.

I've seen them.

Last edited:
I've seen them.

If they are off duty and carrying, then its time for some PIC's to grow some balls and ask them if they are on official business. If the answer is no, then check it like everyone else period.

Side note. Why the hell do the mods keep moving threads around. Do you people really have nothing better to do than reorganize the threads according to how "you" think it should be? Is forum going to collapse because this thread is not located in the "general aviation information" forum?

How is this general aviation information? I guess the question is what is general aviation information do you mean General Aviation (as in private aircraft) which this does not apply to; or do you mean general (broad, all-encompassing) aviation which this applies only to a small segment (airline pilots) go figure?

Anyway...

I don't think it matters in this case if the cops need to be on official business or not. Who is this guy that is giving this letter? Just a more senior po-dunk county sheriff?

Doesn't anyone at the TSA see that if you allow all of these different law enforcement agencies access to airports with guns into the airport sterile area you open up a security hole even bigger than that created by allowing passengers to bring more than 3 ozs of fluids on board.

If you have 100's of possible valid credentials that are very easily faked - oh wait they have to fake a letter from a supervisor! jeez are you serious!. If you limit the number of valid credentials then people can be properly trained to spot fakes.

I believe if you are truly interested in security then the only people that should be allowed to carry guns on airplanes are FAM's, FFDO's, and US Marshals when needed to transport prisoners. At the very least these Sheriffs/city cops should only be allowed to carry a gun onboard if their current mission requires them to have it (i.e. they are transporting a dangerous prisoner). If they are just going to the po-dunk county sheriffs convention in Las Vegas they should have to check their gun.

I love how law enforcement types are paranoid and don't trust anyone except other law enforcement types.

Last edited:
To hijack the thread a little. Todays news said he shot himself 3 times with his .40. Twice under the chin and once in the side of the head. Discuss...

Decided he didn't want to spend the rest of his life in prison being somebodies bitch!! I don't think cops get treated to well behind bars. Probably a good call on his part.

IMO, NO one should be carrying a firearm on board unless they have received SPECIFIC training to use that firearm in the aircraft-cabin/flight deck environment. PERIOD.

At some point there will be an accidental discharge on board while in flight, just a matter of time, and it likely won't be pretty.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back