• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legacy UAL to start recalls in JAN 2013, OCT letters going out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is just an educated guess...... The senior involuntary furlough was probably hired in Aug or Sept of 1999. The senior voluntary furlough was hired 1985???? I've heard they were a 747-400 Ca. I'm not sure of the breakdown between voluntary and involuntary but there are a total of 1436 furloughed pilots mostly hired between 1999-2008.

Stillflyn

I was hired in May of 2001. Was just finishing IOE when 9/11 happened. Three weeks later 844 of us were furloughed. It eventually went to about 2172 pilots furloughed. If i remember correctly the furloughs went to around 1996 hire date.
Then in 2007 recalls started. I turned it down because things were good where I was at. Turns out a few years later UAL furloughs again so even if I went back the first time I would have been furloughed again. Now in 2013 recalls will start again. So I'm thinking, if I had stayed at UAL , in the last 12 years I probably would have got about 2 years of flying in.
I wonder how many of the 844 are still on the UAL list.

I think this is a positive for all involved. To be able to make the choice to come back or not too is better than no choice what so ever. For the ones who say that United is far down on their list of places to be-then dont apply. Its rather high on my list so I paid to go to the recent ATL job fair. I watched hundreds go and talk to the recruiters and pilots of United and their professionalism and attitude were top notch. I just wish I did not stumble on my conversation when I got my chance. Right off the bat I was told that my just shy of 6,000 hours of flight time and being a captain for 5+ years would make me not competitive for about two years as they are looking for people with more experience I guess. I will keep trying. Even taking that pay cut would be better than being at Pinnacle Airlines any longer. Good luck to you all with regards to your upcoming TA and SLI. SLI's can be painful for many.

I think this is a positive for all involved. To be able to make the choice to come back or not too is better than no choice what so ever. For the ones who say that United is far down on their list of places to be-then dont apply. Its rather high on my list so I paid to go to the recent ATL job fair. I watched hundreds go and talk to the recruiters and pilots of United and their professionalism and attitude were top notch. I just wish I did not stumble on my conversation when I got my chance. Right off the bat I was told that my just shy of 6,000 hours of flight time and being a captain for 5+ years would make me not competitive for about two years as they are looking for people with more experience I guess. I will keep trying. Even taking that pay cut would be better than being at Pinnacle Airlines any longer. Good luck to you all with regards to your upcoming TA and SLI. SLI's can be painful for many.

With that experience I would not hesitate to apply. You'll be competitive assuming a college degree to go along with it.

I was hired in May of 2001. Was just finishing IOE when 9/11 happened. Three weeks later 844 of us were furloughed. It eventually went to about 2172 pilots furloughed. If i remember correctly the furloughs went to around 1996 hire date.
Then in 2007 recalls started. I turned it down because things were good where I was at. Turns out a few years later UAL furloughs again so even if I went back the first time I would have been furloughed again. Now in 2013 recalls will start again. So I'm thinking, if I had stayed at UAL , in the last 12 years I probably would have got about 2 years of flying in.

I lost my seniority after the second recall. They were recalling us when oil was surging up. I saw the writing on the wall. Unfortunately I kept the job I had and now I have no rights to go back. But the new furloughees got much better rights. Good luck.

Hopefully you didn't believe that. That excuse is for people without connections. Watch Captain Daddy's kids and friends of chief pilots, etc. get hooked up first. At this point, you could mine your contacts and work that angle.

Sorry for that chain of events. One clarifier, the 2172 furloughs went to the class of September 28, 1998; half of which was furloughed and half was not.

Latest resources

Back