Legacy to LCC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Slappy

I was wondering if anyone out there has made the transition from a Legacy Carrier to a Low Cost Carrier? I know of poeple that have done it, but I'd like to hear first hand from someone who has made the switch. I'd just like to know why and what the experience was like. Did a search, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I could keep searching, but I'm lazy.

I did it and it isn't great. Lots of management apologists running around trying to figure out new ways to work for free so they can keep their mediocre jobs. It does pay the bills but no feeling of pride working for a company that helped drive the good jobs away. Obviously this is a slight overgeneralization as there are many good people here but there is no excitement about going to work. Just feel like another rat in a race.

There are tons of furloughed legacy guys/gals flying at LCC's. I would have to say that most if not ALL of them would have preferred to stay at the Legacy jobs before the contract scalpings! However, now that upgrade times and career expectations have been shattered due to management mismanagement...most furloughed legacy turned LCC guys/gals would choose to stay LCC.

No...you can't compare Pre 9-11 Legacy to LCC...Nobody would have left a Legacy to fly at an LCC before 9-11. If so, I wouldn't admit it to the aero doc giving out medicals!

wndshr said:
No...you can't compare Pre 9-11 Legacy to LCC...Nobody would have left a Legacy to fly at an LCC before 9-11. If so, I wouldn't admit it to the aero doc giving out medicals!

so what are you saying about all those pre-9-11 swa pilots..bottom of the barrel guys or what?

Well, I sent my app into SWA 6/01. I couldn't stand UAL and working there for 25 more years. I had been there a year so I wasn't giving up much seniority. My original interview was set up for 9/18/01. I ended up interviewing 10/25/01 and I started at SWA 02/03. It was the best move I could have made, 9/11 or not. Yaks and Wndshr may be right for some, but not all.

PM me if you want any more info.

Slug

CaptainMark said:
so what are you saying about all those pre-9-11 swa pilots..bottom of the barrel guys or what?

oops...i forgot about SWA. although a low cost carrier from a management perspective, i think they were formidable as any legacy pre 911. however, i wouldn't imagine a TON of people turning down UAL, DAL, AMR for SWA with offers at all 4, when all of them were all making money AND enjoying record contracts.

NWA 8 years--today was day 1 at JetBlue. VERY COOL. I highly recommend a healthy spoonfull of the blue medicine each day.
SRT

Thanks for the response guys. I'm a furloughed guy with a little over 20 years left in the airline biz, so I guess I need to make a choice soon. I understand that the switch is not for everyone, but I also agree that the legacy carriers will never be what they once were. Hmmm....

Will the person with the crystal ball please consider loaning to to me for the weekend?

Slappy

Com'on over to Southwest and you'll like flying with the bottom of the barrel guys. Who aren't afraid to fly.

Latest resources

Back