• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legacy Airlines?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From what I understand, Legacy has tried to start up for many years, under different names.
Do they have access to gate space?
I don't recall any advertising, counter space, or information in the Syracuse area papers about Legacy.
The latest start-up date was for January 1st 2002. And yes, this was declared after 9/11.
The first few(senior) pilots hired were furloughees from USAirways. Word of mouth is the only way to be invited.
It's more of a buddy buddy hiring process.

Is it a good idea to start-up a new airline under the current economic conditions; especially when up against Southwest, JetBlue, Airtran, etc...?

:confused:

BaddaBING

You're right...like I mentioned in an earlier post, I know they at one time were trying to start-up using the name "Oneida Airlines"; and I think this has been an on-going deal for many years. Out of curiosity, I had been trying to get information from the inside, but without much luck. My guess is it is some old Mohawk/Empire people trying to rekindle a long dead fire. I tend to agree with your last statement as well.

Time will tell

It is hard to say if it is a good idea at this point. One could argue with all the major airlines pulling out of alot of cities and repalcing their flying with RJS and props that an airline could come in and lure some of their passengers away. Who knows.

Also my friend told me that they really don't plan on going head to head with Jet Blue (hard to believe considering their hub). They plan on alot of intrastate service in New York as well as alot of point to point flying in the New England area. As well as flights to the popular vacation areas i.e. Las Vegas, Orlando, Mexico etc.. I think they will need a strong management who knows what they are doing to suceed. They need to find their niche and stick with it, but if it was that easy everyone would be doing it.

Its a job

I think for the furloughed guys that were hired there the most impotant thing is that they start operations when they say they will. Whether it is a good idea or not to start an airline doesn't matter too much to them, they have nothing to lose by going to Legacy.

I wish I knew about the open house I would have driven across the country If I knew I had a %100 chance of getting hired at an airline flying 737-700/800s with the chance of getting hired as a captain or as an FO with a quick upgrade. Not too many places where I could walk into a $98/hr or even a $78/hr job right now. Oh well I guess I need more friends in the right places. What was that saying? "Its not what you know its who you know".

I was "hired" by Legacy. You know the phrase, "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is". Well, that's exactly the impression I got from that place. I know they have a website but really that's about the only concrete piece of evidence that this is even an actual business venture. They also had a little plastic model of a 737 painted in legacy colors. That's it. Here is why I'm skeptical.

1. Good pay to start
2. Full Benefits to start
3. 4 weeks vacation FIRST year.
4. Company matched 401K dollar for dollar
5. Company paid Uniforms including two pairs of SHOES.
6. Here's the best, If you want to move to their "hub" in Syracuse, they say they'll put you and your family up in an extended stay hotel/apartment for 90 days at THEIR expense.

All sounds great right, what other airline in history has offered this. Not to mention the excrutiatingly bizzare fact that the CEO Steve Enea, is a Catholic Priest?!!! Not only do they not have any airplanes, the only "employees" they have are furloughed pilots. They don't have ANY flight attendents hired, no dispatchers, no infrastructure, no gates, no hangers, no mechanics, nothing. NOTHING. So I'm happy to have a chance to work there if, huge if, it ever got off the ground. I just don't want anybody out there kicking themselves over a lost opportunity of a lifetime. Chances are very good no one will see the inside of a Legacy airplane. Besides, Syracuse? a hub in Syracuse?...I could go on and on. Don't sweat missing the cattle call. If there is another one can't hurt to go.

becket-

If Legacy called and said that they had secured training slots, would you go? If you were working for a regional, would you take a chance? Anyone can answer. Just curious.

pappy

Taking the chance...

Given the current environment....

If I was a Capt. at a regional, even a middle of the road one, I don't think I'd do it. Jet Blue minimum to leave I think, or EJA/Options/corporate gig with good backing if that appeals.

When things turn around, a lot of doors are gonna open for guys flying PIC turbine 121 ops. Way, way more will be waiting for people with the right experience than what people are going ga ga over for currently.

If this was LAST year, I'd say go for it. This could really be an opportunity if the stars lined up. If it didn't work out, then you could do something else that was available. Things are just too dicey right now IMHO.

EAP-

Thanks for your thoughts. Here's where I stand. I don't have that magical 1000 turbine PIC time. If I stay at my regional airline, it'll most likely be a minimum of 3-5 years before I could upgrade.

Now, if by some chance Legacy is able to start operations, I was "hired" as a 737 captain and would start logging valuable PIC time experience. It would be great to get in from the start if Legacy is able to make a good run at it. On the other hand, if they only operate for 1-2 years, then the time and experience stays with me. Hopefully, I'd be more marketable.

It would be tough to leave a secure job for a startup. But with these times, what jobs are secure? It's tempting. Any thoughts out there?

pappy:(

This is what I would do..........

For me it would be a difficult decision. I am a captain at a large regional airline and have been furloughed once before in my career. I would need to know more about the company (finacial backers etc..) and maybe see them actually start up. My wife and I are from the Syracuse area originally and would love to return so my threshold of acceptance would probably be less the average regional pilot. I have all the hours I need (including turbine PIC) so sitting in the left seat of the CRJ for the next 3 or 4 years while I wait for the airlines to start hiring depresses me but it is a job and I am happy about that.

If they sucessfully started ops I think I would go to Legacy if hired for these reasons:

1. I am from Syracuse and want to return without commuting
2. Getting in on the ground floor so to say would be great, not only in in seniority issues but just being part of a sucessful start up would be a blast.
3. My wife is an M.D. and we have no kids (and don't plan on any) so if they went belly up after a couple of years I wouldn't be leaving my family in a lurch. My wife is the bread winner thank god.

Anyway, just my opinion. It really does not matter until they start ops and I get hired by them. Until then I will stick to what I am doing.

Pappy-

Well, if you really think it's gonna be a long haul for an upgrade, maybe the opportunity will outweigh the risk. What you desire, it sounds like, is movement. Either career type aircraft or upgrade. Then if you went for this, you'd have one at least, possibly two down the road.

If they went belly up, you could likely get a corporate charter King Air job getting PIC immediately. You have the total time, and if you aren't gonna get PIC for several years, what is more FO time really getting you?

Here's the other side of the coing though. Who are you providing for? Is there a wife, family or connected community issue here that would get messed up with a move and slave schedule likely for a year or more? If you are married, does your wife work to win the bread during periods of unemployment? Would you be risking your families happiness by this move, or would they be up for an adventure? Think about it this way, if you wait for a bit and slug it out at the commuter, you may be able to jump over to a corporate gig or another opportunity when the hiring starts again - even an upgrade may happen. Also, the airplane type doesn't equal happiness. I've been very unhappy at times due to family strains after transitions, upgrades, etc. that looked attractive BEFORE the realities set in. Ive been VERY HAPPY flying FO on small airplanes when my family life was good. Professionally frustrated, but happy.

Best of luck. I think in a few months things will be clearer for us all.

Latest resources

Back