• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LED flashlight recommendation wanted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surefire's are great, and the Lithium CR123 batteries are getting more common. They last forever, so you don't have to shop for batteries very often.

If you will be using the light around the inside of the cockpit, use green LED's. Even one LED is plenty. I find green does not hurt night vision adaptation very much, and offers much clearer vision and map-reading. I have four different green LED's positioned around the cockpit, and they are great. In fact, I flood the panel with the Clipmate in green by clipping it onto some plastic on the headliner behind my head;
http://www.theledlight.com/clipmate.html
I like this light better than the white post lights.

If you are looking for a high-power white light, to check for ice accumulation outside the cockpit, forget about LED and just go with a strong regular white bulb type flashlight. Mine is an inexpensive one powered by 4 "AA" batteries.

Well, everyone knows anything designed for aviation is about 4x the cost of a comparable "non-aviation" unit.... I've found some great ones in the sporting goods areas of Target, Wal-Mart, ...

I personally have about 3 ones each a little bigger than a tube of chapstick that take 1 AAA battery each. Last forever, easy to put anywhere (including a lanyard around the neck), definately bright enough for cockpit activities, and they cost about $6 each at Wal-Mart.

Also have a few larger ones that work well for pre-flight and such that take 2 AA batteries... they were about $15 each.

I just found a great conversion kit for the mini-mag lights that convert them into LED lights. I picked it up in Walmart for about $4.50. You pull out the tiny bulb and the reflector and replace it with this new LED unit. Battery life is extended and it so far works fine.

If we are talking about a full size (D cell) light then I carry a Lightwave 8000 that I got on eBay for about $80 and it is the best flashlight ever. Very very bright but it has a blueish hue to it so it doesn't totally destroy your night vision. Also built very sturdy in case I need to whack someone with it. I have been using it for almost 3 years now and I have never had a problem with it.

Twotter76 said:
If we are talking about a full size (D cell) light then I carry a Lightwave 8000 that I got on eBay for about $80 and it is the best flashlight ever. Very very bright but it has a blueish hue to it so it doesn't totally destroy your night vision. Also built very sturdy in case I need to whack someone with it. I have been using it for almost 3 years now and I have never had a problem with it.
I think I have something similar...uses three D cell batteries, has about 10 or 12 led's and will run forever without a battery change. Plus you can drop them from 6 feet on to a concrete floor and they keep on working.

Yea, I'd spend 50-60-80 bucks on a flashlight like that! It's worth a million dollars if you ever have to use it.

Take a look at Princeton TEC. I've a headlamp with a blue-white LED; 1-watt, but it's bright enough to blind you. Great for doing preflights. It was about $26 and runs on two AA batts. It's waterproof and very well made.

I agree with FN-don't skimp on flashlights. They might save your life.

CJ

FN FAL said:
I think I have something similar...uses three D cell batteries, has about 10 or 12 led's and will run forever without a battery change. Plus you can drop them from 6 feet on to a concrete floor and they keep on working.

Yea, I'd spend 50-60-80 bucks on a flashlight like that! It's worth a million dollars if you ever have to use it.

FN: Is that Uzi guy in your avatar a reject from the Village People? :D

I sincerely hope it's not a self-portrait...I could not handle having that image in my head each time I see your posts. :eek:

C

UnAnswerd said:
The other is a little LED light manufactured by Coast. I carry this with me at all times. Isn't no bigger than a pocket knife, and is just about as bright as the Stinger. For it's size, it is very impressive. The light is actually a light blue, so again, not too sure about the night flying.

I have that same light (probably). I paid about $40 bucks for it at the local pilot shop. Imagine my surprise when I saw the same thing at Target in the camping section for $12. Bummer. Live and learn.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back