Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
anybody use an LED flashlight in the course of their flying duties?

care to recommend a particular model?

thanks

Check out the LED Museum for Reviews

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

This guy has devoted his life to the study of LEDs. You can find reviews of lots of different LED flashlights (plus other LED stuff as well).

The two LED lights I use the most when flying are the Petzl Zipka Plus headlight (mostly for preflight and such before actually getting in the plane) and a couple of Photon 2's (red or green) while flying.

I have a photon light that is very, very handy. I wear it on a lanyard around my neck all the time, but it came with a little clip so it can attach to headset, seatbelt, interior of cockpit...whereever.

I am drooling over/planning to buy a Surefire Aviator. It's a super, mega bright Surefire light with a stepped switch. First detent turns on 3 LEDs for low-light use, press harder to get the full strength superlight.

I have a couple of Surefire's already, they are the best flashlight in the world.

i say go to the sporting goods part of wally-world and just look at the flashlights there. mine wasn't expensive and came b/c red, blue, and orange covers. pretty bright for how small it is.

The problem with the Surefires is 1.) Cost, 2.)requires non standard batteries that you have to buy from Surefire.

so, real quick hijack: is red still the color for night? i heard that there was another color that was better for night vision than red, but i can't remember which. what's the latest word?

I have 2 flashlights that I usually carry with me at work. One is a Streamlight Stinger, which is rechargable. I payed about $120 for it, but it's without a doubt the best little flashlight I've ever owned. Be careful though. It emmitts a super bright, white light. Probably not what you want for night flying.

The other is a little LED light manufactured by Coast. I carry this with me at all times. Isn't no bigger than a pocket knife, and is just about as bright as the Stinger. For it's size, it is very impressive. The light is actually a light blue, so again, not too sure about the night flying.

Latest resources

Back