Leaving the Air Force and need advice.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Shares IS good. AirTran has a LOT of AF guys going there now.

You could go to Pinnacle and upgrade to CRJ captain REALLY quick and fill your 1000 PIC Jet, but PCL is a crap place to work. Mesaba is hiring street Saab captains, but the pay is lower than PCL-much better operation, however.

Definitely go to http://aptap.forumco.com/default.asp

It is was originally an Army helo site, but it is GREAT for guys going Mil-Civ, especially if they're helo or are low-time FW (or both). There are a lot of contacts and help there-these message boards don't have as high a % of helpful people as aptap does.

cliff
YIP

PS-USA Jet is a good place to start with more pay than the regionals-it's not for everybody, but you could start at $38K as a DC-9 FO, and get a Falcon 20 PIC slot in probably 6 months or less. That would be another way to get your 1000 PIC Jet pretty quick. If you want info on USA Jet, PM me with your email. Also, both Shares and AirTran are better than USA Jet.

I agree that you should fly as much as you can until you leave. Ciationshares would be a good option. I think Netjets and Delta are big fans of military flyers too.

Unless life is just intolerable in the AF the best safety net is a 20 yr retirement. Times are shakey in the industry. If you jump now you may just be jumping to the frying pan. Coming to the business in a few yrs with a steady paycheck will give you some peace of mind. Serving two masters sucks (airline/guard unit). Working at a commuter for low pay and high work loads to build time for a legacy is tough also. Build your time in the AF, get yourself promoted and then jump. Just my two cents. I fly with guys though all the time that are working two jobs to get that safety net etc. By the way the guard retirement doesn't kick in until 60. These guys are always warn out.

Unless life is just intolerable in the AF

I notice some 89th tails on your avatar. Perhaps you had the good fortune of spending some time in the OSA community, which I don't think mirrors the typical AF pilot's experience. I don't know what else you flew, or how long ago you retired, but times might have changed. The life of the "real" AF heavy pilot, especially C-130s, consists of a ridiculous amount of time in the desert.

It's gotten "intolerable" for a lot of folks.

Guard/reserve probably best bet. Guys on AD are burning out, and no retirement "safety net" is worth it.

Rforbess might want to check into an LCC like Spirit or Allegiant as well.

Last edited:
Unless life is just intolerable in the AF the best safety net is a 20 yr retirement. Times are shakey in the industry. If you jump now you may just be jumping to the frying pan. Coming to the business in a few yrs with a steady paycheck will give you some peace of mind. Serving two masters sucks (airline/guard unit). Working at a commuter for low pay and high work loads to build time for a legacy is tough also. Build your time in the AF, get yourself promoted and then jump. Just my two cents. I fly with guys though all the time that are working two jobs to get that safety net etc. By the way the guard retirement doesn't kick in until 60. These guys are always warn out.

If you are getting out because of Economics...stay in, take the bonus, retire, and THEN come to the airlines. If you are getting out because you can't handle the lifestyle of living in Sh!ttySTAN...then the loss of income shouldn't be a problem. Age 65 really jammed the industry for five years, conveniently, on the front end of what could be a recession. I advise all my mil buddies now: stay in for the money, and get out for the lifestyle. Hope this helps...good luck, amigo!

And oh, btw...what everyone else said, with a few small exceptions is GREAT advice that I don't care to repeat. Only major difference is that I disagree, for now, with BeenHuntin. I like flying for an airline AND with the Guard/Reserve...but, that's because I'm a flying junkie, and I suppose that could change over time.

Well if you're only options are C-130's, especially on active duty... get out now!!! the herc sucks!

LOL!!!

Spoken, spelled (you're? or your?) and gramatically representing the Bengals Fans all around the globe in such a wonderful manner!!

The herc has been the workhorse of OEF and OIF. So, I must say, "Au contrair, bonjur!!" Hope you have a great day though, I got a big laugh and a smile out of your post...now back to my regularly scheduled glass of courvossier.

sorry... posted out of anger... so I didn't check all my grammmmermemamrrr, but I should clarifieyeey... it is great at the mission... it just sucks to be the one flying it!

Is that bettererer?

Herc flying is still good in the ANG. We are still our own culture apart from the AD.

There are still plenty of non AEF AD days available.

I agree with others. If you can stand it, stay on AD and get your retirement. If you can't handle it any more get out, join the ANG/AFRC and stay until retirement.

As a airline furloughee I can't tell you enough what an awesome deal having the ANG is to fall back on.

Latest resources

Back