• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrokeFOsho

Works weekends
Hi there,

I'm leaving the Air Force since my pilot training commitment is up. I had a 1.5 year break in flying due to a skydiving accident back in 02'.

Ended up with 2000 TT all M/E turbine (C-130's) and about 800 of it PIC.

I guess what I'm getting at is when I leave the AF in March.... where should I go?

It looks like I'm qualified minimally for most of the majors, but since I put my apps out a week ago I've just heard back from Regionals mainly. Citation Shares also sent me a follow up questionaire.

Any thoughts? I'll give a six pack to whoever leads me the right way!

Cheers!

Rob

although the legacies are full of merger talk, if you have a contact at Delta, have them go to the guy doing the hiring and have them talk you up......you will get called/emailed for an interview with your quals.....

Cal works the same but they are on the end of a hiring boom....well maybe a slow down...

nwa doesnt work so much with internals....

depends what u want.....stay away from a regional unless u must remain current.....but bottom line they are all the same when it comes to QOL, even though kool aid drinkers will tell you others are better....its all just jet time building...

you can do well with those times......ups and fed ex may be out for now....but again....it all depends on what make YOU happy

Last edited:
I know a couple of folks in the majors passingly. Not sure if they'd walk to the hiring dept. for me though.

I'll be happy with a job. Just don't want to go interview with a regional just yet when it looks like I might be able to start out at better than 22 bucks an hour!

Yeah, I sat next to a Citation Shares capt. the other day. He really seemed to love it. I'm hoping my app with them moves on...

Work on getting a Guard or Reserve job for a Saftey net, then network a little more for a major or netjets.

It's only been a week. Give it some time. You'll hear from some majors.

I suggest you attend the JetBlue hiring fair down in Orlando on Feb 2. Doesn't cost a thing. Just show up in business casual with a resume and you'll get to meet the hiring folks. Attending one of these fairs seems to be the inside track to getting an interview as of late. Make sure you complete the on-line app before you go. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a flyer with all the details.

Don't forget that a lot of places will let you use a military equator... standard seems to be 1.2 times your flight time. That gets you pretty close to NetJets mins. So fly fly fly until the day you leave. Also, I'll back the "get a reserve/guard gig". That will give you the safety net and also help you build up those last few hundred hours... if it comes to that.

Good luck

Plenty of Air Force pilots at Air Tran (Chief Pilot F-16's). Reserve/Guard is a great way to offset costs and set yourself with an additional retirement. Food for thought.

Latest resources

Back