Leaving Kids/Family while flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyGirlFelicia,

On another thread you inquired about becoming a CFI? If you haven’t got your CFI yet, just pop a few out now. By the time you hit the majors they should be graduating college. I will ask this as nicely, with political correctness, as I am sensitive to your feelings. Since when did we start comparing retired military aviators with Branch-Davidians?
LIKE-OH-MY-GOD. YOU DIDN'T

Felicia -

Do your potential children a favor and hold off indefinitely or at least until you grow up a little more.

You sound just like the type-a professional women I work with who insist on satisfying their biological urge to procreate or whatever drives them to reproduce and promptly warehouse their children in day care. People who have to - fine. Those who choose to warehouse their kids - so they can drive the Lexus SUV and make the mega-mortgage payments... What a shame.

Being a mother ought to be looked at as a high honor and a very respectable job. I will never have this being a dad. But it's a close second... I get to be the nice guy!!

Really, what is all this Takes a Village cr@p from prople like Hillary Rodham and her feminazi comrads? It's weakening the fabric of US society. It only plays into the weak agenda of the libs and the women are totally equal lobby/agenda. Women are not equal, they are not the same as men. Men and women do deserve equal opportunity in most cases though. Women make better and more appropriate caretakers of young children (ever wonder why God gave you breasts?!). Women are better at repetitive tasks. Women are supposedly better are handling g-loading. Men are better at killing and other things. Get over it - it's just the way it is!!

Airline or almost any pro flying for that matter really needs a full time parent and preferably a mother at home with kids for sure until they hit 6 yrs old. And then maybe longer. What are you going to do when your child gets a virus at school, is puking their stomach out and wanting their mother but you and your man are off on 3-4 day trips! Get real! Don't have children!!!

Branch Davidians and home schoolers!!! You've lost all credability.... and what the he!! did the Davidians do to deserve the FBI killing them and their children!? Last I heard, there were quite a few American citizens in there supposedly exercising their right to free speech and freedom of religeon. What a bunch of judgemental media brainwashed garbage flying on this one.

Last edited:
One more voice in support of a stay-at-home-parent.

We were married for twelve years before we had our first child. We waiting because I was working my way up from flight instructing to part 135 to regional to Major. My wife was a total workaholic. She worked twelve to fourteen hour days because she enjoyed it and wanted to. In less than nine years she went from a bookkeeper earning $18,000 to V.P. of Finance earning $85,000 at the time that our first child was born. We had always agreed that when we had kids she would stay home. We had both wondered how well she would adapt.

We now have two kids, about 2yr 4mo apart. My wife is still just as busy as every, if not busier, but now all of her activities revolve around the kids. She doesn't "stay home", they go. They have activities, clubs, sports, meetings, etc. almost every day. She hosts themed parties at our house for the kids friends almost every month. She's now preparing to homeschool our oldest next Fall for kindergarten. To give the kids more time with other kids they are both in "school" which is a mom's day out program for the youngest and a perschool for the oldest. Both programs are at the church. The kids love it and it gives my wife a few hours each week to catch up on bill paying or whatever else she needs to get done.

Honestly, I get tired just hearing about all the stuff they do. Our oldest wakes up in the morning asking "where are we going today, mom?" and the youngest just says, "Go? Me! Go? Me!" It would certainly be a lot more difficult to have the kids involved in so many fun and educational experiences if we both worked. In fact, almost all of the "other moms" of the kids in these programs are also stay-at-home-moms. The exceptions are those who work only part-time or who's father has a very flexible work-at-home type schedule.

I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Look Tony C. You are not the only Dividian on the Board:)

Last edited:
How about...if you aren't going to give it your all, don't have kids?

I'm for that one.

English--You are wise beyond your years.

I assume you are fairly young... At least that's how I've imagined you... ;) Gotta run, there's a cold shower waiting... ;) :D TC

;) ....aw stop, you're making me blush....

English said:
How about...if you aren't going to give it your all, don't have kids?

I'm for that one.
Ditto's, English!!!!!!!!!!!

I so strongly support the concept that kids need their parents, that I'd walk away from the cockpit before I'd let my kids spend another day in day care. My step kids were day-care'd and the difference between them and my biological kids is night and day. My oldest daugher was kept in a friends home for three days a week for one year and I can tell the difference between her and her younger sibling who has not ever spent a day away from her mom. Kids without full time mothers are forced to do without God's intended shepard.

Go listen to Dr. Laura for a day or two and read her book entitled "Parentling by Proxie" for some professional insights into the parent child relationships and the damage that absentee parenting does to those relationships, and most importantly does to the emotional development of a child.

God will bless those who sacrifice material things in order to give their children a proper upbringing.

regards,
enigma

BTW, take your kids to Sunday school.

FlyGirl,
When you have kids, it's not about you (the parents) anymore. Kids profoundly change the landscape of life. Even if you have kids with family when parents are at work, they still crave parental attention.

BTW, not all home schoolers are branch Davidians. Not all home schoolers even attend church.

BTW, you asked about kids and flying in the first place.

Imho, you have many preconceptions that you are afraid to challenge.

Latest resources

Back