Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vindiesel

an offer from netjets...
anyone with their thoughts, please chime in. I'm a first year fo, btw...

Why not? If NetJets is what you want than more power to you. If only for the pay you'll probably be ahead. Hell, a lot of guys would kill of either of those jobs.

it's not as simple...different flying, different product/service, much closer to pax....what does your happy meter say about those?

now would be the time to leave if you did...not senior, haven't upgraded...

i'm waiting for the interview call as they say my paperwork is accepted and i'm on the interview list...

the pay would be one key reason to go there. plus 7 on, 7 off.

good luck

an offer from netjets...

Think really long and hard. The money may be better and maybe 7 on 7 off is for you. But you also have to deal with kissing the a$$es of hard to deal with rich people, long sits in FBO's, weird or last minute catering requests. Maybe a little less at NetJets than at a 135 operator but I venture to guess not.

At least on the plus side no more comute, no employee cost medical, dentl, vision. No furlough, no merger worries. And the planes are pristine, dude I'd eat off the hangar floor at Bridgeway!

Best of luck in your decision.

But you also have to deal with kissing the a$$es of hard to deal with rich people...

Uhhh... no, you don't. I don't kiss anyone's ass. Ask anyone who knows me. :D

I'm polite and efficient with our passengers, take care of their needs within reason, and get them on their way in a clean, well-kept plane. That's what I'm paid to do. If they want a kiss-ass, they can bring one along!

... long sits in FBO's, weird or last minute catering requests.

We don't handle the catering orders -- we simply pick them up and set them up in the airplane. If the share owner wants something unusual with his catering, he'll generally get it. The mechanism for that to happen is for him to tell his rep what he wants, the rep gets it ordered from a local catering company (or even flown in from another city if necessary), tagged with an order number.

As a NetJets pilot, my responsibility is to walk up to the FBO desk and ask for a particular catering order number. If said order isn't there, or is missing items, I call in and it gets taken care of by our catering department ASAP.

Maybe a little less at NetJets than at a 135 operator but I venture to guess not.

Well, don't guess if you're not sure. :rolleyes:

Sure we sit at FBOs for a few hours here and there. I sat at airline terminals for hours on end at my last job. I'll leave it for you to guess which of the two places I'd rather spend my afternoon in if I'm not in the air. (Hint: It's the one with free internet, coffee, computers, a big-screen TV, sleeping lounge, good food, a car to borrow just for the asking, etc.)

In Houston yesterday, I had a 3-hour break and we borrowed a BMW to go get Mexican at Pappasito's. Sure beats walking to a food court and eating Panda Express for the 8,000th time, that's for sure.

Sitting isn't my favorite thing to do, but since it'll happen in any flying job, I'd rather do it at an FBO than an airline terminal any day.

an offer from netjets...

Vin,

I've spoken with two former Jet Blue pilots who left for Netjets. Both flying the Citation X now. See below:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1313708&size=L&width=1050&height=770&sok=&photo_nr=46

It actually makes a lot of sense - have you seen the new TA at Netjets:
  • 100 pilot domiciles - select any domicile
  • at least $60K to start,
  • adding 50 jets net this year
  • Tremendous route variety
  • Free health care for you and your family
  • Fly interesting people (celebrities, sports stars)
  • 4 meals paid for per day on the road
  • Excellent hotels - 3 and 4 stars likely
  • 3 different types of schedules (7/7 is an option)
  • Advanced equipment
  • Collect hotel/airline points to use for family trips
  • Top fractional in the industry and owned by Warren Buffet (strong financial backing)
So, the point is that you are going to a market leader vs. staying at a market follower. The LCC market will only get more competitive over time as LCCs get more aircraft and find places to put them. Who knows how the consolidation game will play out - Jet Blue could become a target. At Netjets you won't have to worry too much given that it is the market leader by a big margin...

Go to Netjets. The two former Jet Blue guys who are flying the X at Netjets now really enjoy it and claim that they would never return to 121 flying. Netjets certainly ain't for everyone (ad hoc flying, loading some bags, etc.), but after the new TA with 100 domiciles and a much-improved comp plan, a lot more poeple are reconsidering that option... Consider yourself lucky that you got interviewed and hired at Netjets - I hear that the stack of resumes is very high (probably includes a bunch of current Jet Blue pilots).

I do not work for Netjets but I have a few friends who do and they love it. For any Netjets haters out there, check out the facts and figures about Netjets here:

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/fractional/netjets.html

Last edited:
But you also have to deal with kissing the a$$es of hard to deal with rich people, long sits in FBO's, weird or last minute catering requests. Maybe a little less at NetJets than at a 135 operator but I venture to guess not.

"Kissing a$$es" is not something I've had to during my career at NetJets. In fact, most of the people are actually very laid back and easy to deal with. I even flew one rock star and he and I chatted about music and guitars while he waited for his limo. No "kissing a$$" there. As for the sits in the FBO, it's possible but not a very common occurrence for me. That said, most FBO lounges are nicer and quieter than the airline terminals that I see. I've never had a last-minute catering change though the company has people in CMH who are paid to handle those requests.

Just trying to add a little perspective to your post. I do agree with most of the rest of your post though I wouldn't eat off the hangar floor at Bridgeway. That's just too unsanitary for me.

Last edited:
an offer from netjets...

Are you kidding me? Why would you ever want to leave Jet Blue? The beautiful smell of sewage at JFK every morning. Such nice, well-mannered people working at that airport. Flying into and out of JFK several times per day - it's so easy and stressfree... The same old, monotonous routes over and over and over until you memmorize the frequencies. There are so many reasons to stay...

Please stay so that I can take your slot at Netjets. I am hoping for an interview at some point and I would love to take your slot right now. Like someone else stated earlier, I'd love to fly for a market leader and not have to constantly worry about my airline's future or its ability to pay my checks. I'd be happy to hang out at interesting layovers like Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Aspen, Saranac Lake, Bermuda Dunes, Scottsdale, Ocean Reef, Napa, Marco Island, Martha's Vineyard, etc. vs. the hectic hub airports every day. Please stay so that I can go to Netjets.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back