Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was an example of a PFT airline.

Ugh...thanks. You went to fairly extraordinary lengths to tell us something that we already knew.

Delta:

• Graduate of a four-year degree program from a college or university accredited by a recognized accredited organization
    • Degrees obtained from a non-U.S. institution must be evaluated for equivalency to U.S. degrees by a member organization of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES)
    • Postgraduate education will be given favorable consideration.

Southwest:
No degree required

American:
No degree required

United:
No degree required

US Air:
No degree required

Jetblue:
No degree required

Spirit:
No degree required

Frontier:
No degree required

Virgin America:
No degree required

Wow.

Since Delta seems to be the only one requiring this, using by General Lee's "logic," then Delta must be the biggest PFT outfit of all. Good God: $80-100,000 worth of PFT. That's brutal. Man, a guy could get ten type ratings for that kind of money! :blush:

Bubba

Last edited:
Umm, you brought up the 4 year degree, but it's a valid comparison. The 4 year degree is a requirement for an interview at DAL, same as the type was when I interviewed at SW. Both are ridiculous in the context of this career, although there is some advantage to having a degree in something other than aviation when you get furloughed. I'm pretty sure that's not why the big guys require it.

Who cares? They're both stupid requirements, but nevertheless, they are requirements. Don't have a 4 year degree, don't apply to a place that requires it, since you're not qualified. Don't have the type, you can still apply at SW and make a decision whether or not it's worth getting AFTER you're offered the job.

Sure, but you're not paying SW one dime, hence, comparing SW to real PFT outfits like Gulfstream and Valuejet is ridiculous.

I had to pay to take the friggin' FE written 4 times, because even though the FAA said that as long as you're employed by a 121 carrier, the written is considered current, every friggin' major required a "current" one taken within 2 years. Talk about a waste of time and effort for no reason.

As for "paying" with the big 3, how much were the furloughed guys making after 9/11? Is that not, in a way, paying? Heck, how much were the EMPLOYED guys making post 9/11?

I can guarantee that $8k paid for itself very quickly at SW in that time frame. There are a ton of guys who likely wake up and thank heaven that they bought the type to come to SW instead of saving the $$ and going to one of the big 3. I had the opportunity to go to DAL in the late 90s, and I ended up staying at SW. There is NO doubt that I am far better off today, in every way, than had I gone to DAL. It's better to be lucky than good.

Actually, you don't. You just have to HAVE THE TYPE. It doesn't matter where or how you obtained it, just like a humanities degree.

Nothing to get around. See above.

When we have a problem getting qualified applicants, I'm sure it'll change. Until then, nothing any of us say or do will change it.

They aren't required to be typed to come over, so why would they even care?

Dude, you are Cleopatra, queen of denial.....

Ok, wait, ONLY YOUR AIRLINE requires a type rating to start class. Most people don't get a free one unless at another airline (that paid for it), or got it free via the GI Bill. And you are now comparing you paying for 4 FE Writtens? I did one, and I think it was less than $100?? Did you pay to keep your medical up to date prior to joining SWA? About the same cost, and no more FE written required for anyone. Way out of date there Trimotor..... Back in the 60s I think you might have had to be a mechanic too to be a DC6 FE? Why didn't you bring that up too...????

Look, keep trying to justify it, it is unnecessary. It will all be settled by future hiring. Guys who don't want to pay for the type, won't. You will get plenty of second tier guys who can't get on with a big 3 airline going to your interview, type in hand. I'm guessing that policy will be dropped, and that is the whole point here. It's a bad thing. And, college allows people to try to get focused in life. Parties may be fun, but life is all about becoming focused. Expensive, but companies usually like you doing it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Dude, you are Cleopatra, queen of denial.....

Dude, you've got to be a FI plant to stir up page hits. There is simply no other logical explanation for your raison d'etre.

The same BS over and over again.

One last time, I'll put it as simply as I can, so that you'll grasp the concept..

You've stated over and over that SW is PFT.

You are wrong.

There is no mechanism in place to pay SW for training, even if you wanted to, so, how can it be PFT? It's impossible to pay SW for training, therefore you are wrong. Are we clear?

Once again, I feel that the type rating is a stupid requirement and has prevented lots of otherwise qualified pilots from working here....

It's almost as stupid as requiring a 4 year degree to be an airline pilot. It's simply not necessary to do this job.

I didn't even read the rest of your post. I'm sure it was very enlightening.....

How much do you get per post BTW?

Did you have to pay FI for your post whore training? ;)

Dude, you've got to be a FI plant to stir up page hits. There is simply no other logical explanation for your raison d'etre.

The same BS over and over again.

One last time, I'll put it as simply as I can, so that you'll grasp the concept..

You've stated over and over that SW is PFT.

You are wrong.

There is no mechanism in place to pay SW for training, even if you wanted to, so, how can it be PFT? It's impossible to pay SW for training, therefore you are wrong. Are we clear?

Once again, I feel that the type rating is a stupid requirement and has prevented lots of otherwise qualified pilots from working here....

It's almost as stupid as requiring a 4 year degree to be an airline pilot. It's simply not necessary to do this job.

I didn't even read the rest of your post. I'm sure it was very enlightening.....

How much do you get per post BTW?

Did you have to pay FI for your post whore training? ;)

Oh geeez.... Wow. Look, do you and Bubba have a college degree? You both must have been turned down by DL.... Yep. Why did you get the degree? DL must have been on your mind.... (Like Georgia)

Your airline still requires something that costs money, and you have to have it to START training. DL requires a 4 year degree that will disqualify you from even getting an interview. Big difference. Everyone but you Corndogs see the difference it seems. Your policy is BAD for our profession. DL's policy is good for society. I guess you'd go to a doctor who didn't go to med school for surgery. Yeah, looks like it. You also think Pilots and bus drivers are the same. Yeah...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Oh geeez.... Wow. Look, do you and Bubba have a college degree? You both must have been turned down by DL.... Yep. Why did you get the degree? DL must have been on your mind.... (Like Georgia)

Your airline still requires something that costs money, and you have to have it to START training. DL requires a 4 year degree that will disqualify you from even getting an interview. Big difference. Everyone but you Corndogs see the difference it seems. Your policy is BAD for our profession. DL's policy is good for society. I guess you'd go to a doctor who didn't go to med school for surgery. Yeah, looks like it. You also think Pilots and bus drivers are the same. Yeah...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Seriously. Why do you try so hard. All know. Fact = pay for 737 type to start at SWA.

Seriously. Why do you try so hard. All know. Fact = pay for 737 type to start at SWA.

It's tough for these Corndogs to understand what they allow.... They are still task saturated trying to figure out VNAV and Autothrottles....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back