Leave Jetblue for Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JetFumes

I'm a 5 plus years FO at JB. Can hold reserve CA on the 320 in JFK and BOS. I wont bid it right now because I live on the west coast. Just wondering how many of you out there would leave to go to SWA if they called (a big if, I know) ? I'm 41 and the clock is ticking. JetBlue is a good place overall, they just aren't SWA. Thoughts?

Just wait for the american airlines merger, you will be sitting pretty then with all the retirements.

hey all is great at SWA! come on over- But I have to agree with the other guy- with the young AT group upgrade will shoot up to over 15yrs. that is a WAG but it is more fun and a 5 yr fo. picking up a little bit with still having 14-15 days off you can make 150k or more.. (food for thought)

another thought is if still on property if you merge with AA then you come on the SLI before the young furogh folks.. I say you have it good either way.. good luck and I personally would stick it out at JB. FWIW

I'm a 5 plus years FO at JB. Can hold reserve CA on the 320 in JFK and BOS. I wont bid it right now because I live on the west coast. Just wondering how many of you out there would leave to go to SWA if they called (a big if, I know) ? I'm 41 and the clock is ticking. JetBlue is a good place overall, they just aren't SWA. Thoughts?

You might be able to hold LGB in the June bid that came out today. Give it a shot you never know. I would be prepared to be on reserve for a very long time, but if it's home then you will be very happy over a trans continental commute. Good luck.

JB schedules out of LGB blow. I have a friend based out of LGB and he is constantly flying red-eyes to the East Coast with day sleeps. Back and forth across the country with a few flights to LAS, SAC and SEA thrown in the mix. He seems always exhausted. Who knows if schedules will get better out of LGB given that it is slot constrained. That said, I am not sure I would want to be on the very bottom of the SWA seniority list before (or after) the AirTran merger. I think upgrade time before the merger was projected at something like 12-14 years. Now who knows how long it might take. At SWA you could be a professional FO for the rest of your career (with frequent layovers in LBB and ELP to boot).

Another downside about leaving JB for SWA: you'd have to give up your sidestick and learn to fly again... :laugh::p:eek:;)

If you've been at B6 longer than 5.5 yrs, I think you should definitely go to SWA.;)

The upgrade at Southwest is WELL over 15 years for our bottom guy. He's already been here over 2 and he's 2900 numbers away from Captain. We will retire only about 1500 in the ten years after the retirements resume - 2 years away. That means, with no growth, he will be barely over half way up the FO list after 19 years on property.

I still love my company, have very little negative to say about it and think we are the best airline in the country but the 5 year upgrade is over.

Gup

The upgrade at Southwest is WELL over 15 years for our bottom guy. He's already been here over 2 and he's 2900 numbers away from Captain. We will retire only about 1500 in the ten years after the retirements resume - 2 years away. That means, with no growth, he will be barely over half way up the FO list after 19 years on property.

I still love my company, have very little negative to say about it and think we are the best airline in the country but the 5 year upgrade is over.

Gup

Another positive about SWA: you won't be forced to pick up the passenger trash between flights... Probably because you won't have the time with the tight turns.

Make you decision based only on what the situation is now. You're nuts if you based your decision on what might happen with AA and JB.

Latest resources

Back