• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave Jetblue for Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a 5 plus years FO at JB. Can hold reserve CA on the 320 in JFK and BOS. I wont bid it right now because I live on the west coast. Just wondering how many of you out there would leave to go to SWA if they called (a big if, I know) ? I'm 41 and the clock is ticking. JetBlue is a good place overall, they just aren't SWA. Thoughts?

I assume you are not commuting or if so, it is only to LGB. With that in mind my thoughts.

Write down the 5 most important things you want in your airline job and then base your decision on how important those factors and which airline matches those requirements.

Money, days off, big metal, international flying, job security, scheduling flexibility, never having to sit reserve, upgrade time projections, etc.

Then realistically compare each of these factors at each airline.

1. Money - SWA at this point, not sure how long the breakeven point is with a SWA FO and JB CA but this comparison is pretty easy.

2. Days off - Expect at SWA after getting off reserve 16-17 days off on avg. Caveat is being reserve....with no growth, we've had pilots on reserve for 2+ yrs with 15 days off a month.

3. Big metal...SWA likely in 10 yrs from now, others say sooner but who knows and who cares but if you do, that is my best guess.

4. Job security, @ 5 yrs you have better security than even the junior most SWA pilot even without SWA having ever furloughed IMHO. Not likely JB will go bankrupt but who knows.

5. Can't say at JB but I hear it isn't bad. For all but reserve pilots flexibility increases exponentially once hard lines are held. Density of trips to get time off is good, as well as some of the best rigs to make sure productivity stays high which in turns help QOL by giving us more time off while flying more.

6. Will sit reserve and be prepared to sit it for a yr or more depending on growth. Now if you are in domicile, who cares....I would do it if I was in domicile. Reserves are used in excess of 80% on both sides with few exceptions (DAL mostly)

7. Upgrade time...you are almost there with JB...if that is important for other than pay reason, don't leave...if it is solely for pay, then come to SWA and make more money than JB CAs in a few yrs while in a SWA left seat.

Lots of other variables and I've only highlighted a few....be honest with yourself because if you don't and switch, you will be miserable and makes those around you miserable also. Good luck and have a great holiday season?

BTW, are you talking about a real job offer or just considering applying and preparing in advance in case SWA offers a job?

I assume you are not commuting or if so, it is only to LGB. With that in mind my thoughts.

Write down the 5 most important things you want in your airline job and then base your decision on how important those factors and which airline matches those requirements.

Money, days off, big metal, international flying, job security, scheduling flexibility, never having to sit reserve, upgrade time projections, etc.

Then realistically compare each of these factors at each airline.

1. Money - SWA at this point, not sure how long the breakeven point is with a SWA FO and JB CA but this comparison is pretty easy.

2. Days off - Expect at SWA after getting off reserve 16-17 days off on avg. Caveat is being reserve....with no growth, we've had pilots on reserve for 2+ yrs with 15 days off a month.

3. Big metal...SWA likely in 10 yrs from now, others say sooner but who knows and who cares but if you do, that is my best guess.

4. Job security, @ 5 yrs you have better security than even the junior most SWA pilot even without SWA having ever furloughed IMHO. Not likely JB will go bankrupt but who knows.

5. Can't say at JB but I hear it isn't bad. For all but reserve pilots flexibility increases exponentially once hard lines are held. Density of trips to get time off is good, as well as some of the best rigs to make sure productivity stays high which in turns help QOL by giving us more time off while flying more.

6. Will sit reserve and be prepared to sit it for a yr or more depending on growth. Now if you are in domicile, who cares....I would do it if I was in domicile. Reserves are used in excess of 80% on both sides with few exceptions (DAL mostly)

7. Upgrade time...you are almost there with JB...if that is important for other than pay reason, don't leave...if it is solely for pay, then come to SWA and make more money than JB CAs in a few yrs while in a SWA left seat.

Lots of other variables and I've only highlighted a few....be honest with yourself because if you don't and switch, you will be miserable and makes those around you miserable also. Good luck and have a great holiday season?

BTW, are you talking about a real job offer or just considering applying and preparing in advance in case SWA offers a job?

Big metal? What, are we talking about the 737-900??????

My projections are within 10 yrs (a mature and fully tested 787) is a larger airplane than SWA will appear and it will fly international. :D

That is big metal IMHO.

My projections are within 10 yrs (a mature and fully tested 787) is a larger airplane than SWA will appear and it will fly international. :D

That is big metal IMHO.

I hope you're right. That would personally make it more appealing for those out there who want to make some serious cash AND see the world. ;)

When I was new-hire at UAL in the beginning of '99, we had a guy in class with us who bailed out of Southwest after 3 years. Nobody questioned the wisdom of his decision, in fact, we all wondered why he wasted 3 years over there when he could have been working for United, the biggest, most bad**s airline on Earth.

Think about your decision carefully.......

When I was new-hire at UAL in the beginning of '99, we had a guy in class with us who bailed out of Southwest after 3 years. Nobody questioned the wisdom of his decision, in fact, we all wondered why he wasted 3 years over there when he could have been working for United, the biggest, most bad**s airline on Earth.

Think about your decision carefully.......

This is a very good point. Look at the history of airlines. Each and every airline has had peaks and troughs. Just because one may be king of the hill today, it doesn't mean it will be in the same position tomorrow. In fact, history shows that it won't. I'm not knocking SWA here at all. I'm just trying to point out how dynamic this industry can be. If a person decides to leave one major airline for another, I just hope that person decides carefully. To jump from a sinking ship is one thing. But to speculate that your ship will sink, and jump because you think the grass is greener.......well I hope it works out for you in the long run. Weigh your options carefully.

One last thing to remember......legacy carriers tend to hire right up until they start to furlough. Where you end up on a seniority list will make a difference.

Here is what is going to happen. You are going to go to SWA, then B6 and SWA will merge and your buddys at B6 will all be senior to you haha. Just kidding, but you never know until you retire. Tough decisions.

That is big metal IMHO.

Isn't that a misnomer now days? I thought the 787 was mostly plastic? ;)

Thanks for the input folks. Don't have a job offer, just thinking. I live close to a junior SWA base (driving distance) , so thays a major reason why I still mull it over.

I hope you're right. That would personally make it more appealing for those out there who want to make some serious cash AND see the world. ;)

If you want to make serious cash you're in the wrong business. Maybe you could be a corporate attorney or Wall St. guru. Then you could see the world all you want.

Latest resources

Back