Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vtpilotmj

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to get some opinions. I'm currently an FO on the ERJ at Eagle. Only been with them for aprox 6 mo. It doesn't look like I’ll be holding a line anytime soon, or upgrading for the next 6+ years. Have the opportunity to go to Chautauqua, also on the ERJ 145. I'm thinking that even though the pay isn't quite as good, the advantages to CHQ are; MUCH quicker upgrade, holding a line faster, and not worrying about more flowbacks from AA. Just curious to see what would you all do?

I'd go to CHQ. At this point you don't have too much invested in Eagle. If your focus is career progression, go where the upgrade is.

Are you serious, dude? A 24 y.o. cfi asking about a company with a 2 year upgrade versus a 9 year upgrade? Partner, those flowbacks will be at Eagle, hanging on until they retire.

You gotta do what works for you. Will the commute be better? Either, I'm sure this thread will take right off.

Back in 2000 when I was on the made hunt for a regional job I had this very choice. I interviewed at CHQ on a Monday...interviewed at Eagle on that Wednesday. I was fortunate enough to get job offers from both airlines. For my personal situation it came down to upgrade time.....CHQ (6-9 months) Eagle(4-5years). Of course I wanted the upgrade. CHQ upgrade time was 7 months. If I made the choice to fly for Eagle I would still be sitting in the right seat just getting ready to make the move to the left seat. I have a few friends that are still on the street after 911...so for one thing be thankful you have a job. On the other hand if you get the interview at CHQ and are then fortunate to get the job offer, then you have a choice to make. It sounds like right now you don't have a choice......get the ball rolling so that you do! Fly Safe:)

after a year when FedEx, AirTran, SWA (who has stopped), and UPS stop hiring where are you going with your PIC time?!?!

solely going to a company based on upgrade time is a BAD way to choose an airline job. last year people went to mesa for that quick <2yr upgrade. it is now standing at 4-5yr upgrade and will only get longer as the last 900 is delivered this year.

If you want to be an RJ FO forever, stay at Eagle.
If you ever want a chance to upgrade and MOVE ON, try for Chautauqua.

Citation Lover,
I disagree on this point, flying for a commuter is a career progression to build time and turbine PIC is the new buz word for HR. Young bucks need to get it where they can and it doesn't matter (minus the dirtbag companies) if it's Eagle, Mesa, CHQ,Trans States, etc. Where can he go? You know this industry is cyclical and hiring will always roller coaster but the guy with the most capt time wins. Corp or majors, the question is how much PIC do you have. And Left seat pay at most airlines is much greater than right seat pay so if you do get stuck at Mesa, it's better than six years at Eagle as an FO. Look at my title, that reflects two captain upgrades and I'm now a FO again. I expect it will take AA several years to recall. History repeats itselft from 1992 to 1997 when last this happened.
vtpilot, jump ship and go where you can PROGRESS. I assure you, UPS and FedEx do not care if you flew for Eagle or CHQ.

Scooby74, sorry I should have clarified, I did interview and was offered the job at Chautauqua.

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back