Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
Okay, this post will not deteriorate into a political discussion. I'm in a quandry and am looking for answers to questions, not advice. Downgraded FO at ALG (one of many, just to update you all), I have been sending out a few resumes over the last few months to various carriers. I am in that awkward spot with "alot of time", but very little 121 PIC, so the JetBlues and Southwests' out there aren't calling. Sent one to CHQ, on a lark, a few months ago. Got a call to interview the other day. I'm going to go and give it my best of course, but here's the quandry. Let it be known that, IF (a very big if, as we all know), USAirways survives for the long term, all the pilots at the WO's will be set, courtesy of the flow-through to MDA (and eventually mainline) and the retirement schedule at mainline, especially those young punks like myself. The big problem with that is the plans for ALG and PDT (and PSA I guess) in the interim, and the ultimate fate of the company. So now I'm faced with the choice of maybe leaving that, if I am successful at the interview. So now some questions to ask:
1)Bases? LGA and PHL I am familiar with, since we already share those crew rooms. I understand BUF is a domicile as well, and in talking with a CHQ guy the other day, he said something about some growth with United at that base.
2) US, United, and Delta? How much flying for each, and how much growth is expected for each?
3) Pay? I've seen the pay rates, but the only one that really stood out was the 21/hr for the first year. Second year and beyond? Typical hours each month?
4) Schedules? Again, I've seen some pink sheets floating around the crew room, but that was awhile ago, and it seemed like an awful lot of day trips. I might very well end up commuting, and I have little desire to fight for a couch in the crew room or stay in a hotel or crashpad unless the boss is paying for it. So what are the schedules like? Minimum days off? Average days off for a lineholder? Time on reserve?
5)Total numbers? How many planes and pilots? DOH of the senior guys? DOH of the junior captains? Attrition and turn-over?
6) And finally, I saw the press release a few weeks ago, but what are the plans for the 170's?

So if anybody has anybody to say to help me out, keep it non-political. We all have our own thoughts and opinions about everything, but I'm just looking for information. I'm a registered user at CHQlounge, but I'm just lurking there for now.

So anyway, thanks again.

I would go to Chqlounge.com for some of your answers. And it won't take long for this thread to turn into a CHQ bashing. If I were you though, I would run as far away from Airways as possible. Do not see much future there. But that is just my opinion. Good Luck...

Seriously, leave ALG now. Get as far away as possible. I hear the upgrade time at CHQ is not too long anyway - get your jet time, fly a nice bird (vs. the junky Dash) and focus on upgrade in 2-3 years with the growth that Delta will give them in the near future.

Get away from ALG quickly.... Run!!!!

1. Bases are PHL, BUF, LGA, GSO, RIC, SDF, IND, MCO, STL, and CMH. United 145 flying is starting in June out of GSO, BUF, and SDF. Not sure if there will be an IAD or ORD base in the future. BUF will be growing alot with United in the next year.

2. We have close to 90 planes total, 33 for Airways, 15 for American, and Delta has the rest and will be growing this year. We have 13 Delta birds coming, and thats on top of the 5 additional that have been on the books for some time. Our first 2 145's are being delivered for United in June, and we should have about 15 by years end. (Republic gets the 170's)

3. Start is $21. Second year is 29.60, (pay raise every October and new contract negotiations should begin in 2-2.5 more years) 75 hr gt. Lines holders get 82 hours but some are built to 88, 89. Just depends. You can fly all you want, there is tons of open time.

4. Schedules are OK. 11 days off for reserve, most guys are on reserve for 1 maybe 2 months in most bases. The majority of line holders have 13-16 days off a month and the top 10% of guys can get 17-20 off. I never have day trips because I dont bid them, but you shouldnt worry about gettting those, there are enough guys who want that type of line.

5. We have guys that were hired in the 1980's but most captains are around a 97'-00' date of hire. Upgrades are going to 01' DOH. Not much attrition, some guys going to Southwest, but thats about it. It's a pretty good gig for now.

6. The 170's are going to republic. they are flown by Chautauqua pilots and are on the CHQ seniority list. They are still union. However, you cannot go back to the CHQ side if you switched over to Republic. There is a 2 year seat lock regardless of equip.

Hope this helps, good luck!

It a roll of the dice buddy, you just don't know until your 60. Remember a few years ago CHQ was down to a few J31's and close to BK but look at them now.

If you were senior to me I'd say get the he11 out but your not so here's my 2 cents. Your only in your mid to late 20's so you've got time. Its not like your 35 or 40 with kids to feed. If worse comes to worse and we are on the street we pack it up in SYR and move home and get another 121 job (eventhough you and I are low on the 121 PIC with connections and our time getting on at another regional/commuter souldn't take more than a few months if the worst should happen. ( I hope) ) Anyway it seems to me that you want to leave so I guess go to the interview and if it goes good then decide.

I have several friends there, both capts and fo's and they all like it very much. If you and I were any junior than we are or had never upgraded I'd have left for CHQ by now.

We all know my record when it come to getting hired and turning jobs down so maybe just ignore my advice.

" Seriously, leave ALG now. Get as far away as possible. I hear the upgrade time at CHQ is not too long anyway - get your jet time, fly a nice bird (vs. the junky Dash) and focus on upgrade in 2-3 years with the growth that Delta will give them in the near future.

Get away from ALG quickly.... Run!!!!"

On your six,

your an f'in a$$hole, nobody likes you around here and you continously spout off stupid sh1t, go away.

On a side note:

If Airways goes under for good, we will have about 30 planes collecting dust. Bedford is very good at moving aircraft (unless they are EMB-140s; 44 seats?? what a waste!!)
If Airwyas does go under, I wouldn't be suprised to see 30 'new' Delta and United jet on line with in a week.

basicly, they would all go to the paint shop and the massive growth would stop for a short while. Also the J4J guys would lose their J4J status and become regular new hires like everyone else, if they choose to stay.....

Lear,

I love you too. If you think flying a junky Dash at an airline that will be liquidated in the not too distant future is a great opportunity - go for it!!!!!! This is a forum where opinions are expressed - if you can't handle it then go find another activity. I don't hear anyone else RECOMMENDING ALG to anyone - do you?

I've got a number of friends on this forum and my mommy loves me.

Just wanted to modify a couple of BE200s' points... CHQ is a good place but maybe a couple of things were a LITTLE rosier than reality:) :

Guarantee is 75 hours, lineholders do not necessarily receive much more than that. Last month (I'm a somewhat senior FO) I was blocked to 86 hours, 78 next month. Your ability to get open time really depends on the base and right place/right time; right now we're actually a little fat on FOs. (Hiring is full-speed for airplanes that are coming, but not actually here yet). I had 17 days off this month and there has been zero open time on the days I was looking.

You probably WILL get day trips at some point, the only base that doesn't seem to be littered with them is MCO. Or, what is very common is schedules built to 4 or 5 days on with back-to-back 2 days or a 3-day plus turn.... IOW you will need a crashpad if you're not living in base.

On a brighter note, the last two upgrade classes had guys as junior as October 2002; that was the start of the last hiring binge. However, we have several FOs in the 2-4 year range who are bypassing upgrade for QOL or other reasons, so junior Captains will probably sit on the bottom for quite awhile.

Republic is a non-issue for new-hires. All 170 FOs are J4J United guys. Not as much of a screw job as Airways' J4J since they're not taking Captain seats. FOs cannot transfer equipment regardless; you are seatlocked for 2-years into your equipment type after upgrade. Once you bid from the 145 to the 170 as Captain, you are stuck at Republic UNLESS you are downsized out (and then you will be able to displace back to CHQ).

You've got a tough decision... you guys are all class acts when we see you in LGA and I don't envy the sinking ship you're currently anchored to. Good luck.

If Airways tanks don't look for good things to happen at CHQ. I don't think Reverend Bedford will be able to pull off another Amerca West Express-becomes-Delta Connection miracle again.

The chance of the AWA-Delta thing happening again depends on timing. Right now, we have about 33 jets flying for USAirways, and about 30 or so on order for Delta and United in the next 14 months. So if USAirways goes under soon, I think it'd be an easy fix, you just repaint and defer orders. If they go under a year from now...who knows?

Latest resources

Back