• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave Airtran for United??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Those you dont care about upgrade obviously want to work to 65. Think about this. If United mergers with anyone they will have overlap. Overlap means they are not going to keep that frequency in. This also means any old airframes will be weeded out of both carriers. Then you want to add in Uniteds great scope clause (not) and you can almost garuntee that you will see many of those EMB 175s or 190s (in the future) doing the roots of the old small narrowbody jets that they got rid of. Let somone else take the risk with buying new airframes like Chatauqua. Airtran is a growth airline that has slots in many every major hub. Think about that. If they get bought a few years down the road and you have seniority you may end up quite well in a shuffle if not you will still upgrade faster which means you dont have to work forever. I would rather be a captain on an okay day making good money than an FO having a great day making crap.

"don't get baited into the "quick upgrade" argument at AAI. We're watching that dry up right before our eyes. I've been at AAI for 3 years, and quite honestly i'm not sure when i'll upgrade"

If youve been at AAI for three years then you should know almost exactly when your going to upgrade. The next class was awarded to guys who have been at AAI for 3 years. When class starts in March they will have been here for 3 years and 2 months. So, if you have been at AAI for 3 years, you should be able to hold one of the next few classes.

You are jr. to me, think long and hard about it. If you were sr. to me, I would advise, follow your heart and go for it.

I assume part of the reason the move to UAL is because he lives in one of UAL's bases. It's a bit risky move, but i can tell you as a commuter, nothing beats living in base. And i know that UAL is almost hiring into every single bases (except DEN being a bit more senior).

So if you can sit down with your significant other and discuss that if down the road, a merger does happen, you'll be happy to be a at home dad for a period of time because of furlough, and your family will be fine financially, i'd say go for it!!! In my opinion, quality of life trumps pay any time of the day. You simply just can't buy back your son's 3rd birthday, because you spent it on a commute. UAL has been my dream airline since i was small, but i guess not for now, maybe in the future.

........Then you want to add in Uniteds great scope clause (not) and you can almost garuntee that you will see many of those EMB 175s or 190s (in the future) doing the roots of the old small narrowbody jets that they got rid of.

UAL's scope does not allow a regional to fly either aircraft you quote.

You could hold just about any UA base in a relatively short period of time.

Tough decision. Good luck.

UAL's scope does not allow a regional to fly either aircraft you quote.

You could hold just about any UA base in a relatively short period of time.

Tough decision. Good luck.

Hi UAL-

Do you know if UAL still has a sim evaluation during the interview?

Juice

I have heard they have done away with the sim interview, BTW as you see it will be five years before you know if you made the rihgt choice.

While I understand this point i'd say not to do this. What if he gets hired and decides not to go. He has just very likely burned a bridge.

I speak from my own exp. 7 years ago I interviewed with Airtran and was hired. I decided to stay with my commuter to upgrade and get PIC for my then "career goal airline" of United. About 12 months after turning down the offer 911 hit and Airtran was the new AA/UAL/DAL. I've tried since then (less the last 12 months) to get an interview with Airtran with no luck.

I got the first interview/hired with 3000tt, 1500 pic and no types.

Since then with 8000 plus tt, 2500pic, 2 types and 3 CA's walking in my stuff I can't get a call.

Eventhough Jill isn't calling the pilot hr shots anymore my lack of luck is most likey due to turning them down years ago.

So in conclusion, don't interview just for the sake of it - you never know in this bizz when you really need that interview/job. There are other ways to research a job than going to an interview. Plus interview information usually leans twards the koolaide side of the house anyway.

Don't feel bad u ain't missing anything

That's great. When do you expect an upgrade at UAL?

about the time you guys get all the management idiots out of your union and all the scabs out of the training department and that scab who is the asst. chief pilot and when you get a new contract (I see you are going on year 4 now without one.) Guess you are waiting for AMR, CAL, UAL to lead the industry back up. And before you spew about our wages at UAL remember my FO pay was more than your 12 year captain pay back then. Enjoy the asskicking you are going to get from DAL you rod.

Latest resources

Back