Leather or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RadioClash said:
2. On the blazer, the wings, at least in my experience, tend to lose their backings, usually at the beginning of a trip, so you will walk around with your wings halfway hanging off. Looks kind of dumb. Why do they lose the backings you ask? Well the backings on the wings on your coat tend to get caught on the wings on your shirt and will either fall off while walking, when you have to take it off for the TSA pilot harassment, or when you take it off while getting in the cockpit.
Having said that my blazer at my current company has a little flap that protects the wing backings which keeps them from coming off. Nice.

Use a piece of duct tape to hold on the backings. I did it and I didn't lose a backing all winter. Its just one more use for the greatest invention of all time.

DrProc said:
Use a piece of duct tape to hold on the backings. I did it and I didn't lose a backing all winter. Its just one more use for the greatest invention of all time.

Better yet, ditch the little backings altogether and use little chunks of glue sticks from hot glue guns instead. It's one of those things that you don't think will work until you try it.

sweptback said:
Better yet, ditch the little backings altogether and use little chunks of glue sticks from hot glue guns instead. It's one of those things that you don't think will work until you try it.

If you do your own ski base repair, Ptex works good too. If you've got any left over after firebombing the ants in your shop that is.........

sweptback said:

compressed earplugs work well too........

Anyway, those leather jackets look like sh*t.

The Independence jacket looked cooler than any other airline jacket that I've seen. Yes, the normal jacket that every airline wears looks cheesy, but it is still better than the flasher coat.

Go with the leather jacket. I highly recommend the removable Gore-tex liner.

Later on, buy a blazer if you want. They do come in handly in warmer weather when you have to wear a jacket, but leather is too much.

AWACO said:
Yes wear the leather while walking the flight line to your P-51....it is 1944 isn't it?
couldn't agree more. i didn't realize we were all being scrambled to our b-17's to go bomb berlin. don't forget your silk scarf too. the crew chief has got your engines warmed up and we're ready for our next sortie to KPSC. godspeed. :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back