Leather or no?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mavdog

I'm starting new-hire class with Horizon this week and was wondering if any current pilots suggest getting the leather jacket or just getting the traditional coat with the rain coat. Thanks for any input.

leather kept me warm this winter, and you can wear it on the layover

Even UAL is going leather. DAL with double breasted leather jackets in ATL?

The blazer with three/four stripes on the sleeve looks most professional.

The leather jacket looks sharp and is most practical. During this part of the year, the blazer is best for the temps. Leather jacket can be too hot.

Finally, the blazer is needed for picketing and funerals.

If money is not a concern, get both. If you decide on the leather, check order times. Pilots have ordered in Sept/Oct only to have delivery in late Dec or Jan. Burrrr

RCA said:
leather kept me warm this winter, and you can wear it on the layover

You can wear the overcoat on the overnight, it just looks kinda weird.

Get the leather one, if possible get both.

Reasons to go with leather:

1. If you have the blazer and it is winter you have to pack a coat or warm clothes for a layover, if you are flying a 4 day and it is winter your bag will be stuffed.

2. On the blazer, the wings, at least in my experience, tend to lose their backings, usually at the beginning of a trip, so you will walk around with your wings halfway hanging off. Looks kind of dumb. Why do they lose the backings you ask? Well the backings on the wings on your coat tend to get caught on the wings on your shirt and will either fall off while walking, when you have to take it off for the TSA pilot harassment, or when you take it off while getting in the cockpit.
Having said that my blazer at my current company has a little flap that protects the wing backings which keeps them from coming off. Nice.

I think the leather jacket is much more versatile for the layovers but the blazer is much more professional looking.

Also at my current airline we have to wear our coats until May 1. F#&! me but it is friggin hot in the ATL by mid April so the blazer is a better option than the leather in ATL.

If you can afford it get both, if not get the leather. Clear as mud?

Good luck

Depends on if you wear the hat or not. If you wear the hat, go with the blazer. If you don't, go with the leather.

I dont like Leather. ......just my 2 cents

hey radiclash thanks for solving my why do my wings fall of problem? I was unable to fiqure out why that happened.

Great, another leather coat thread

Anyway, those leather jackets look like sh*t.

If you're gonna wear one of those B-17 wannabe jackets make sure not to wear a hat, but wear your Bono-style sunglasses and backpack through the terminal. It really shows off your highlights. You're cool.

BTW @ Waterski...nice avatar

Latest resources

Back