• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leather Jackets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, I think goggles would be a nice accessory. Just joking. (Or maybe there will be some civilian "enhanced vision goggles" in the future...) Seriously, as an interested observer, I think the leather jackets are okay, at least when seasonally appropriate. Someone mentioned "Members Only". Not sure, but I don't think their jackets are real leather. So, make sure its real leather. I have one leather jacket, it's a soft, high end leather, and I'd rather wear it than my priciest high-end suit. Unless I have to wear the suit because of the occasion. By the same token, if you're going to wear a suit jacket (instead of the leather jacket) make sure it's a quality, higher end garment. The traditional hats or caps should be outta there. (Maybe replaced by baseball caps worn sideways? Joking again.)

The Indy jackets are the same ones we get at Horizon. Very sharp.

As for the uniform, I have to say the worst pilot uniforms I have ever seen have to be the ones Skywest pilots wore about three summers ago. They were actually wearing polo shirts. I couldn't tell if they were Southwest flight attendants posing as pilots or actually professional aviators. That one took the cake!

BTW, look like S*&#, get treated like s*&#. I think image does matter to the passenger and I for one try to look well kept in front of passengers.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
When it comes to our companies, the gov't and the public all we have is image. Imagine if our image was brought up a few notches? The image was "Man, those airline pilots are disciplined, calm, smart, relaxed, polite, trusted and professional."

Instead we have Air Line Pilots in the terminal, with faded blue cotton dockers, Margariitaville Tshirts shown through white shirts, oakleys with croakies, dirty epaulets, combined with body language that says "who gives a crap" and foul language, etc.... You get the idea.

The hat is a tool to do our jobs via projecting a professional image, that's all. Even I don't like wearing the hat but I think wearing it is greater than my opinion.....

Right On!:)

Leather jackets spell "D-O-R-K" in the airline world as much as new F/Os jumping up and down on their hats at home to give them that "50 mission crush". I'm waiting for the green flight suits with company-logo patches next.

cactus said:
Leather jackets are a joke. The bussiness flyers are laughing at you guys. You look like Captain Fonzie...AAAAYYYY!
AAAAAYYYYY! LOL:cool:

Cat Puke, I like your idea

Cat Puke, I like your idea of a green jumpsuit, but it should have Monica Lewinski spots on it too. You know just like the song aircraft have on their tails. Same shade of lime-puke green with white spots with tails.

And the General should be the poster-boy to model it for the industry.

I don't think leather looks dorky, unless it is on a dork. I've worn a suit coat for thirty years, and my company supplied leather is a nice change of attire. I like it. And no, I'm not a dork. LOL.

B6Guy said:
Cat Puke, I like your idea of a green jumpsuit, but it should have Monica Lewinski spots on it too. You know just like the song aircraft have on their tails. Same shade of lime-puke green with white spots with tails.

And the General should be the poster-boy to model it for the industry.

I don't think leather looks dorky, unless it is on a dork. I've worn a suit coat for thirty years, and my company supplied leather is a nice change of attire. I like it. And no, I'm not a dork. LOL.

Hmmm, well, you see, what you look like is in the eye of the beholder. And in the eye of this beholder...you do indeed look like a dork. Sorry, but that's the truth.

~DC

Donsa320 said:
Hmmm, well, you see, what you look like is in the eye of the beholder. And in the eye of this beholder...you do indeed look like a dork. Sorry, but that's the truth.

~DC

Hmmmmm, well, you see..... Sometimes, the beholder is an idiot. So you gotta factor that in too.

I see this thread come up in the NEW POSTS search and I've been sort of following it along and marveling about something that is glaringly obvious to me, but seems to be lost on everyone else. I know I'm going to have my head taken off for this one, but I can't hold it in any more:

In post after post after post I hear you guys complaining about "the profession" this and "the profession" that and how you all need to restore the prestige of being an airline pilot. Over and over and over .... It's like a song stuck in your heads.

Then in the next thread down you're complaining about having to wear a hat or a suit coat or a tie or what-not. Someone even tried to make fun of 135 operations that enforce a full uniform and hat. As if there isn't a difference between today's air travelers and someone paying $2000 per hour for a business flight.

If you want to be respected like a professional airline pilot and "restore the prestige" of flying passengers for a living, wouldn't you want to dress like it? Wouldn't you want to keep some semblence of a crease in your starched white shirts, a tie on straight, jacket, etc.? Doesn't it sort of start there? Passengers do notice ... I can guarantee you that one.

Or you can dress like the so-called "riff-raff" and "trailer park crowd" (your words over the years) and just be a glorified bus driver. All I ask is that you make up your minds so I can keep it straight. :D

Minh
"Restoring the profession of corporate Skyhawk Captain For Life to the lowly status it most surely deserves. I wear shorts and flip-flops to work."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back