• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leather jackets vs. Dress jacket

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wear a black wool overcoat, looks sharp and is a lot warmer than a leather jacket. In the early spring or in the fall i'll wear a leather jacket since we don't have blazers available for our uniforms. But I think the blazer would look a bit more professional.

Just get a leather jacket and quit being a pansy. The same people complaining about the look of the leather jacket are the ones who wear faded dockers and doc martins with their "professional" blazers. And for God's sake people, would it kill you to shine your shoes?! You military folks out there know what I'm saying!

Last edited:
sidseal said:
Just get a leather jacket and quit being a pansy. The same people complaining about the look of the leather jacket are the ones who wear faded dockers and doc martins with their "professional" blazers. And for God's sake people, would it kill you to shine your shoes?! You military folks out there know what I'm saying!

I hate people who wear old, faded out pants, and their rarely used Blazer, or Leather Jacket for that matter. Looks like $hit.

--03M

I would wear either one. Our company doesn't allow leather so I am quite content with my dress coat. I do not think that the leather jackets look bad at all. As for going out on their bombing runs, I did see couple of B-17's parked at the gates. For real guys, the uniforms are changing with the times. Good or bad.

Mayday911 said:
Leather jackets are for flight instructors, WWII Bomber pilots, and pilot wannabe's. I walk around the terminal and the pilots that I see in the leather jackets look like little kids.

Despite what the Mesa pilots are doing to the profession, we are just that....professionals. Dress like it.

Mayday.

OK dude....take a pill.

Why do you think a leather jacket is not professional? What is your definition of "professional"? Is it any more professional to wear some g@y hat and and out of style suit coat w/flashy stripes?

GP

Jackets

I remember one cold Florida day at FlightSafety. I wore my A-2 to work. I got in trouble. Now, you ask, what's wrong with wearing traditional aviation garb to work at a flying job? FSI required all uniformed personnel to wear an official FSI windbreaker. Staff's was dark blue in color. Not as well-insulated as my A-2. Management graciously deducted from our paychecks the cost of our FSI windbreakers.

I had no beefs about wearing uniforms, but the windbreakers didn't look all that good with them. It almost would have been better to wear a uniform blazer, which would have been ridiculous at a flight school.

I still have my FSI windbreaker. I still wear it. I also have my A-2 and I wear it, too.

Last edited:
I am going to keep this short and simple.

Leather jackets DO look good, and they DO look professional (whatever that means these days).

Someone mentioned the dark wool jackets that you can wear at US Airways. Those things belong on the F/As. They look incredibly feminine and send the wrong signals about you.

Peace

Skeezer

For the leather jacket crowd - accessories are essential: 1) you need a video of "12 o'clock high", for layovers; 2) remove the support ring from the inside of your hat (a 50-mission crush is essential) 3) be sure to wear the hat while in flight, and if you don't have one of those WWII headsets -- put your David Clark's over the hat. The accessories complete your image.

For the blazer set - Be grateful that it isn't double-breasted, with 8 emblazoned brass buttons. In case it is, don't forget to bring along a pic of your "boat" (ship) when in public. That way you won't have to talk with folks interested in the Navy. Just show them your boat pic. Carriers are popular, submarines out.

For the sweater w/epaulet set - a pic of your blackhawk makes good conversation. Infrareds over your shoulder add the final touch.

If you're a hat hater - Just be happy that it isn't white. (You won't know what that means unless you're "mature").

Whatever your preference - do remember that Shoes always complete the ensemble. Next round of negotiations you should make that a priority.

Nike's with a little color go well with leather. If you can't get "color", black will do. Can't get sneakers - settle for boots.

For the blazer crowd - Variety is the spice of life. Loafers with tassels are really "cool" for the younger group. If they won't let you do that, settle for the penny loafer variety or a pair of boots, they're cool too. Whatever you do, be sure that the visible material NEVER shines - that's tacky.

Wing tips for the top 100 on the list.(be sure they have leather soles - you can get a long term medical leave that way and collect disability). If you don't like the wing tip, a plain toe is optional. You seniority gives you the right to shine them. (You're even allowed to use the "patent-leather" look - big savings on polish.)

For the double breasted crowd - Sorry, no options. Plain toes only, and like it or not, you WILL shine them. Don't sweat the shining. With your pay scale - your can afford to have it done by that dude in the terminal.

Pants - Overcoats

Under 30 - Baggy, too long, waist line on the hips. (Boxer color optional. No whities. Especially if you wear leather). If you wear the blazer, pants color and material need not match blazer. (Tie doesn't have to match - stains fashionablel). Overcoat optional (you can freeze if you want to). Coat dosen't have to match blazer or pants. Trench coats with belts are cool - at least one size too big.

>30 <40 - Pleats with the Blazer. No pleats with leather. Correct length. Crease optional. Nothing from Wal Mart. (Tie matches blazer or pants - stains optional) Overcoat style optional. Trench coat popular, color matches blazer - sometimes.

>40 <50 - Correct length. No pleats. Creased always. Color and material matches blazer. Clean. Impecably tailored. Nothing from Wal Mart or Pennys. (Tie matches blazer - never stained) Over coat of high quality. No trench coats. Color and material match blazer and pants.

>50 <60 -- Do whatever you feel like doing. Nobody cares anymore and seniority has its privileges. (Suspenders optional) Colorful ties popular during holidays.

Exception -- The double-breasted crowd must ALWAYS wear creased trousers of correct length. Color AND material must match. Pleats are out. Top coat, if used, must also match in color and material. Overcoats match. No trench coats.

Ladies

Younger - Never wear hat; it disturbs the hair style. High heels or low quarter dress shoes. Fashionable is king.

Mature - Hat optional. If used, designed for female and fits. High heels for terminal. Flats for ramp and aircraft. (Hand bag provides storage space).

General

Does it matter how you look? That depends on who's doing the looking.

Afterthought. -- Since we no longer carry "business travelers", and first class is gone or going, maybe we don't need to look like "business people" anymore. Perhaps the more we look like the "leisure set" the better off we'll be?

Latest resources

Back