Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ill Mitch

I like my oatmeal lumpy
My wife's cousin went thru rehab within the past year. She has been sober for about 6 months now. The other day I gave her her first airplane ride and got her to fly the airplane, etc... She did quite well and she is expressing interest in earning her private pilot certificate.

Just curious as to how the FAA views someone who went through rehab for drugs and alcohol. How difficult would it be to get a 3rd class medical?

The FARs say that someone that has had a substance abuse problem must abstain from that substance for a period of at least 2 years. They will probably also want all the records from rehab, and treatment after the fact, etc. I recommend that your friends best bet is to inlist the services of Virtual Flight Surgeons. They work with people to get there medicals back, or get a medicals for the first time in all kinds of different scenarios. Here is a link to their webpage: http://www.aviationmedicine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home or their phone number is 1(866)237-6633. I had a student that had a similar situation and they expedited things for him, but it was not cheap. Also, on a personal note, be supportive of your friend. He is very brave for admitting that he had a problem and for getting help.

Way2Broke said:
The FARs say that someone that has had a substance abuse problem must abstain from that substance for a period of at least 2 years. They will probably also want all the records from rehab, and treatment after the fact, etc. I recommend that your friends best bet is to inlist the services of Virtual Flight Surgeons. They work with people to get there medicals back, or get a medicals for the first time in all kinds of different scenarios. Here is a link to their webpage: http://www.aviationmedicine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home or their phone number is 1(866)237-6633. I had a student that had a similar situation and they expedited things for him, but it was not cheap. Also, on a personal note, be supportive of your friend. He is very brave for admitting that he had a problem and for getting help.

It is actually a she. She went through a lot and came back on top. Has a good job, making the dough and she is only 20, so she has her whole life ahead of her.

Thanks for the links. I will forward them along.

Latest resources

Back