• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Learjet Captain's Wanted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My first job was with a 'crappy' charter operator flying lears, and we had a MINIMUM of 8 scheduled days off a month, sometimes 9, with at least 1 3 day weekend every month. 5 jets, 6 crews. They NEVER had problems. Was the pay great? Of course not, it's charter. But they knew that even though it was a first job, their crews had lives and families, and didn't expect them to work 24/7/365. If they got REALLY screwed, and called you on your day off, you had 2 choices. 1: Say no. I'm not flying. The trip is then cancelled or moved. 2: Say yes, and get another day off, plus a $100 dollar bonus. But....it was your option whether or not to even answer your phone on your day off.

Believe it or not, there are some good charter companies out there. It will NEVER be as good as a good 91 job, but these 5 day off, 24/7/365 guys have other options, they just choose to not run their business like that. Treating your people decent goes a long way. Hell, I talked to a guy a couple of days ago about flying a Beechjet and Cheyennes on charter, for decent money, but they guy was like "yeah, there's enough flying to where you can fly every day!" I asked him about scheduled days off, and he was like "huh?".....like it was a completely foreign concept. Hell, I don't want to fly every freaking day! If I did that, then I'd get sick of airplanes and look into desk jobs! Why can't some people seem to understand that my entire freaking life doesn't revolve around work? Either that or they just don't care.

My first job was with a 'crappy' charter operator flying lears, and we had a MINIMUM of 8 scheduled days off a month, sometimes 9, with at least 1 3 day weekend every month. 5 jets, 6 crews. They NEVER had problems. Was the pay great? Of course not, it's charter. But they knew that even though it was a first job, their crews had lives and families, and didn't expect them to work 24/7/365. If they got REALLY screwed, and called you on your day off, you had 2 choices. 1: Say no. I'm not flying. The trip is then cancelled or moved. 2: Say yes, and get another day off, plus a $100 dollar bonus. But....it was your option whether or not to even answer your phone on your day off.

Believe it or not, there are some good charter companies out there. It will NEVER be as good as a good 91 job, but these 5 day off, 24/7/365 guys have other options, they just choose to not run their business like that. Treating your people decent goes a long way. Hell, I talked to a guy a couple of days ago about flying a Beechjet and Cheyennes on charter, for decent money, but they guy was like "yeah, there's enough flying to where you can fly every day!" I asked him about scheduled days off, and he was like "huh?".....like it was a completely foreign concept. Hell, I don't want to fly every freaking day! If I did that, then I'd get sick of airplanes and look into desk jobs! Why can't some people seem to understand that my entire freaking life doesn't revolve around work? Either that or they just don't care.

First off, a Type Rating is NOT required but it only makes sense to look at someone who is already current and qualified right???? If someone is a good guy who is being abused by a BAD Charter Company, I will be more than happy to look at them so that's why I put the word SHOULD in there and not SHALL. Second, the pay right now is $65K a year which is industry standard for these types of airplanes. The key to this whole thing is to read the dang post and call if you are interested. If someone wants to report it as advertisement, I am sure someone who comes here looking for a job will want to have a few words with you. Since I put this post up, 2 guys have called and will be showing up at our door Monday morning.
As far as the 5 days off, I know someone that works for a Fortune 10 Company flying the big iron with NO days off per month but the difference is they are not scheduled like Charter so the days they are not flying pretty much is a day off. However, they are still on a beeper.
You could always go to a big Charter Operator like New World Aviation where they only get 13 per quarter and that's it. That's less than 5 a month as an average. Like I said in the original post, once we get the amount of pilots we want, we will be going to an 8 day per month off schedule.

8 days off is a great deal. Especially for charter. Good pay too. I wasn't specifically dissing MidAtlantic, just the ones out there that don't give a crap about their people. It honestly doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. COL there has to be astronomical though. :)

Qualified Learjet Captain's

Wiggums said:
Woohoo. Bring your own training and have no life.

Charter operators never have the crews they need.
This is a typical 135 operation,they want you to have the opportunity to work for them and they will give you five days off per month. This is nothing more than a disgrace to the aviation community.

Listen man, I gotta throw in some defense here. Has every job you've had been a dream job? Ever flown an RJ for $18 bucks an hour? Ever worked for a check hauler? Ever flown for a 135 operator?

Dude, it's the nature of the beast. People do it every day. Does 135 suck? Hell yeah. Do I want to spend my career here? Hell no. But you gotta pay your dues. Aviation is like that. Almost every holier-than-thou-bringing-down-the-industry-blah-blah-blah-blah sonofabitch on this board has had a crummy job at some point. Everyone has done it. Everyone has paid their dues. I'm doing it now. Everyone on this board needs to stop acting like they're perfect and f-ing get real. Every regional pilot on this board that pi$$es and moans about 'bringing down the industry' or some $hit has ALL taken a job flying an RJ for $20 bucks an hour, and now they're bitching at others for doing the same thing. They need to SHUT THE F-CK UP. Hey pot, stop calling the dam kettle black.

Edit: I am in no way shape or form defending scumbag operators and airline managers. They are still pieces of $hit. But people, stop pi$$ing on your fellow pilots for doing what they have to do to get where they want to be in life. And stop f-ing acting like you're perfect. You're not.

CapnVegetto!

CapnVegetto said:
Listen man, I gotta throw in some defense here. Has every job you've had been a dream job? Ever flown an RJ for $18 bucks an hour? Ever worked for a check hauler? Ever flown for a 135 operator?

Dude, it's the nature of the beast. People do it every day. Does 135 suck? Hell yeah. Do I want to spend my career here? Hell no. But you gotta pay your dues. Aviation is like that. Almost every holier-than-thou-bringing-down-the-industry-blah-blah-blah-blah sonofabitch on this board has had a crummy job at some point. Everyone has done it. Everyone has paid their dues. I'm doing it now. Everyone on this board needs to stop acting like they're perfect and f-ing get real. Every regional pilot on this board that pi$$es and moans about 'bringing down the industry' or some $hit has ALL taken a job flying an RJ for $20 bucks an hour, and now they're bitching at others for doing the same thing. They need to SHUT THE F-CK UP. Hey pot, stop calling the dam kettle black.

Edit: I am in no way shape or form defending scumbag operators and airline managers. They are still pieces of $hit. But people, stop pi$$ing on your fellow pilots for doing what they have to do to get where they want to be in life. And stop f-ing acting like you're perfect. You're not.
I believe you need to sit back have another beer and think about professionalism and where you are today.It does not do any good going off on your fellow pilots!

pilotman121 said:
I believe you need to sit back have another beer and think about professionalism and where you are today.It does not do any good going off on your fellow pilots!

Ummmmm.......what???

Not exactly a valid response to what I posted.

????

Latest resources

Back