• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Learjet 31 or CE-550??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with what most of the other guys have said, if you are talking about a CE-550 (i.e. Citation II, or Encore, I think) then you are better off with the Lear.

If you are talking about a CE-560 (i.e. Citation V or Ultra) then I would go with the Citation. The 560 is much faster than the 550, better range, more room, generally a better airplane.

Of course, if it were my money, I'd get pass on both and get a nice late serial number Lear 35A!

Actually, the Encore you mentioned is a much better aircraft than any other straight wing citation out there. There are not too many aircraft that can out perform it, and no Lear except the 24/25 can out climb it. Depending on the weight, a 60 will keep up with it (the planes are just about even in the climb), but it wont climb away from it under any circumstance. They can both climb at 1000+ feet per NM well past FL350 (Doing that math will tell you just how impressive that is, but don't take my word for it, try doing it in the airplane you fly). The Encore is just about as fast as a 35, but not quite, so if the choice comes down to an Encore or a 35, go with the Encore, hands down. Much better aircraft, newer avionics, very few MX issues that you ARE going to experience with the 35. That Encore will shame that V and V Ultra, and if you dont need the speed of the 35, and 440Knots will not hurt your feelings, then the Encore is the only way to go.
some_dude said:
I agree with what most of the other guys have said, if you are talking about a CE-550 (i.e. Citation II, or Encore, I think) then you are better off with the Lear.

If you are talking about a CE-560 (i.e. Citation V or Ultra) then I would go with the Citation. The 560 is much faster than the 550, better range, more room, generally a better airplane.

Of course, if it were my money, I'd get pass on both and get a nice late serial number Lear 35A!

Last edited:
HawkerF/O said:
Actually, the Encore you mentioned is a much better aircraft than any other straight wing citation out there. There are not too many aircraft that can out perform it, and no Lear except the 24/25 can out climb it. Depending on the weight, a 60 will keep up with it (the planes are just about even in the climb), but it wont climb away from it under any circumstance. They can both climb at 1000+ feet per NM well past FL350 (Doing that math will tell you just how impressive that is, but don't take my word for it, try doing it in the airplane you fly). The Encore is just about as fast as a 35, but not quite, so if the choice comes down to an Encore or a 35, go with the Encore, hands down. Much better aircraft, newer avionics, very few MX issues that you ARE going to experience with the 35. That Encore will shame that V and V Ultra, and if you dont need the speed of the 35, and 470Knots will not hurt your feelings, then the Encore is the only way to go.

Are you kidding me. The 60 will not just keep up with the Encore, it will smoke it. I have lots of time in the 60 and I will do way more than 1000 ft per past FL350.

Bandit60 said:
Are you kidding me. The 60 will not just keep up with the Encore, it will smoke it. I have lots of time in the 60 and I will do way more than 1000 ft per past FL350.
Not kidding at all. You didn't read what I wrote. I didnt write 1000ft per minute, I wrote 1000 feet per nautical mile. 2 totally different things. Don't discount the Encore because it is a Citation. The Encore has a slightly better Thrust to Weight Ratio. I assure you the 60 will not smoke the Encore. As I said earlier, the 60 will keep up with the Encore or the Encore will keep up with the 60, either way, it's the same thing. Neither one of them will climb away from the other. Do the math for yourself:

Lear 60
9200lbs Thrust
23500 MGTOW

Encore
6800lbs Thrust
16630lbs MGTOW

Both P&W engines.
Lear 60: 305As
Encore: 535As

Latest resources

Back