Lear down in TRK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amish RakeFight said:
Dude, I love flying but it is a dangerous occupation. You cant deny that. and why would anyone want to read about these accidents.

I really do wonder why I'm so passionate about flying. It is dangerous. Dont kid yourself.

ARF III

It's only dangerous if YOU make it dangerous.

A friend gone

I used to work with Brent, the captain at a ski shop in Pennsylvania. One of my best friends is the chief pilot there at Skyward Aviation so things are not good on the homefront. I appreciate everyone's comments and respectful words on the thread. Cheers,

Gary

flying IS dangerous

Flying is inherently very dangerous. Think about it! Hurtling yourself down a runway day in and day out at 150 mph protected only by a thin metal tube. Shooting an approach to minimums, and just a slight small error in practice or judgement and you are dead. Forgetting one small seemingly small item on the pretakeoff checklist (ie flaps, slats set) and 100+ people are dead. Putting a fix just ever so slightly wrong into the FMS (Cali, Columbia) at night in high terrain and all onboard are dead. If you say flying is inherently not dangerous then I am not sure I want to fly with you. What makes flying VERY safe is pilots and maintenance. Only by knowing that flying is dangerous and realizing that one small (important) mistake can kill you do we fly the way we do- checklists, rechecking, flows, procedures,etc. When people say that flying is not dangerous, I feel they are demeaning the pilot. WE are what make it SAFE! I am not saying I never make mistakes when I fly, I do every day-just not ones that will get me killed. Think about all of the opportunities each time you fly that you have the chance to make a mistake that could get you killed. What about the things you don't have control over- maintenence screwup undetectable by the pilot, flock of birds at night, deer on the runway. Flying is dangerous work indeed. Professional Pilots like us make it VERY SAFE!

By your definition then snow skiing, is VERY dangerous as well...

Bottom line, a real idiot can make crossing the street VERY dangerous. Heck, walking down a flight of stairs is stuntman work by your definition... I mean blanket statements that flying is dangerous is somewhat misleading. Saying there are safe pilots/mechanics and unsafe pilots/mechanics would be more correct. Or simply saying that given a certain amount of carelessness flying can be dangerous. But wouldn't a lot of activities fall in to that ???

Last edited:
Blue Sky said:
I used to work with Brent, the captain at a ski shop in Pennsylvania. One of my best friends is the chief pilot there at Skyward Aviation so things are not good on the homefront. I appreciate everyone's comments and respectful words on the thread. Cheers,

Gary

Did you mean Brett ?

You're in my prayers

Everyone wants to speculate, justify and guess what happened. That’s for the NTSB. I lost some one that I respected and considered a friend. God Bless him and his copilot, their family and friends. You’re all in my prayers.

flyfastinmy10 said:
Everyone wants to speculate, justify and guess what happened. That’s for the NTSB.

Sorry for your loss... Actually no one has yet to speculate on this thread at all. Kind of odd for flightinfo, but hey, this is a good thing...

Last edited:
dangerous

h25b said:
By your definition then snow skiing, is VERY dangerous as well...

Bottom line, a real idiot can make crossing the street VERY dangerous. Heck, walking down a flight of stairs is stuntman work by your definition... I mean blanket statements that flying is dangerous is somewhat misleading. Saying there are safe pilots/mechanics and unsafe pilots/mechanics would be more correct. Or simply saying that given a certain amount of carelessness flying can be dangerous. But wouldn't a lot of activities fall in to that ???

Ok, so you make a small mistake snow skiing, or you go skiing after having a few beers, or you have a malfunction in your binding. Well, what is the worst thing that can happen? A broken leg, a bruised ego, a bad fall-maybe death for yourself. I don't see how in the hell snow skiing can be equated to flying when it comes to the inherent danger. Make a big mistake flying a jet and 6-18 or hundreds are dead. What I am saying is that flying is very safe, and what makes it safe is the pilot, but with a careless or negligent or highly fatigued pilot, well then flying is dangerous. Just go on believing that flying is just oh so safe. I'll prefer to feel that it is dangerous. We'll see who lives longer.

7xpilot said:
Just go on believing that flying is just oh so safe. I'll prefer to feel that it is dangerous. We'll see who lives longer.

It's a deal... You make me scared to go to work tomorrow. :eek:

I'm a lot more comfortable in the front end of the airplane than I am dodging traffic on the freeway going home and have had a lot more near death experiences in a car than in an airplane.

When you get to the after life, ask Sonny Bono about your snow skiing philosophy. :rolleyes: :D

You must be like flying with "Debbie Downer" ....

http://www.devilducky.com/media/16135/

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back