Lear 60 vs. 45

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Groundpounder

What advantage does the Lear 60 hold over the 45? They seemed to be matched pretty close, but the 60 costs more, holds fewer people, and has an older generation airfoil.

Lear 60 has greater range and a roomier, stand-up cabin. The 45 has a better wing, no-question, and better short-field capability. Two different planes...two different missions.

The 45 has had a difficult entry into service.

The 60 is underwinged and underbraked. It was devloped when Integrated Resources owned Lear and adequate R&D money was not available during developmental test. Subsequently, a modified 28 wing and brake assembly was used. The airplane climbs at the speed of heat then cruises at .73 due to winglet flutter. A good Lear pilot can get 300 landings out of the tiny brakes.

I really liked the C-21.

GV

The 60 engine on the 45 airframe would be a heck of a combination. But that will not come to pass. Lear would lose one of it's product lines, as Gulfrstream almost did with the combination of the G- II airframe and the G-III wing combination.

pilotpair said:
The 60 engine on the 45 airframe would be a heck of a combination. But that will not come to pass. Lear would lose one of it's product lines, as Gulfrstream almost did with the combination of the G- II airframe and the G-III wing combination.
What they should have done is put the TFE731-40 on the Lear 45 instead of the TFE731-20... Would have given a LOT more thrust up high...

Groundpounder said:
Doesn't the 45XR fix alot of the hot and high problems, and allow full tanks, full seats?
It looks like they made a lot of improvements, but they are still using the TFE731-20 instead of the -40... However it appears they are using a different dash number -20BR vs. the -20AR... The BR has a high flat rating temp (104°F vs. the AR's 88°F) so it should be slightly better than what they have now... It is interesting to note on the new Lear 40 they are still using the old TFE731-20AR...

I think the XR upgrade runs approx. $500,000.00. It would less expensive to buy a straight 45 and then upgrade to the XR package after purchase.

While it is definitely "underwinged", I'd have to argue with your point here.

GVFlyer said:
then cruises at .73 due to winglet flutter.

GV
the point .77 @ 450 that I saw this afternoon would also seem to argue with this statement ;)

Latest resources

Back