• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear 60 vs. 45

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GV obviously doesn't have much time in the lear60. We operate 3 lear60's and I have never had wingtip buzz until I get to high altitude and heavy and at least .79

I cant remember EVER flying it at .73 in cruise

Bandit60 said:
GV obviously doesn't have much time in the lear60. We operate 3 lear60's and I have never had wingtip buzz until I get to high altitude and heavy and at least .79

I cant remember EVER flying it at .73 in cruise

You're right about the limited time in the LR60. I was at the plant in Wichita for several months on another development program when the jet first flew on 1Jun91. I flew it a few times then. The jet was certified in January 1993 fllowing a pretty normal developmental test program (as compared to the LR45).

How about those brakes?

GV

The brakes are the one of the weakest parts of the aircraft. I may be wrong, but I thing the brakes that are on the airplane today are different then those that were originally on the airplane and are somewhat better. The problems is that the ref speeds are much higher than most airplanes, the brakes have brake energy limits.

Brakes are the same unless you have upgraded from the originals which cost $1000's more than the originals. Brakes used for stopping and taxiing work well except when you use less than 5,000 ft. of runway(Dry) 6,000 ft.(Wet).

Last edited:
What would be nice is if they took the wing and the gear from the 45 and mated it to the 60. Call it a Lear 65. You get the big cabin, great time to climb, and a better wing and brakes. I just read a article on the Lear 40, and doing a max perf. landing, it was stated that the airplane stopped in 800 feet. GOOD BRAKES!

I have 1700+ hrs in the 45 and now the 45XR. The 731-20AR after aircraft serial number 73 or so is a 731-40 with out the deep flutted nozzle and the software to put out the power of the -40. When we upgraded our 731-20AR to the 45XR engines, which they call the "BR" mod for us, the climb power with and without ice on is great! We now make 390 is 13mins at mid weights. When we go straight to FL450 it will go right to the .81 MMO even in ISA + conditions. I have seen 470kts true at FL410 and 460kts true airspeed at FL470. All of this was a software up grade to the engine computer which controls the power.
The rumors are they will stretch the 45 fuselage @3 feet make it taller and wider (ie 60 size) open up the power (TFE-731-40) add a little more fuel. We are ready for one...how about you?

Range

No big change in range...maybe a little increase (less than 100 miles) because of the ability to get to altitude quicker and higher initial cruise altitude. What is nice is we can take 8 pax with bags, full fuel and go at least 1800nm.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back