• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear 60 PIC needed......10,000 TT needed. lol

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As for highly qualified pilots making top dollar. Why? Is it QOL? The way I see it, if you're qualified in one jet aircraft, chances are with the right training and operational experience, you can fly any other jet. So why is it a captain on a G550 makes an annual average $140,000, but a Falcon 7X Captain averages $126,000. Or a Legacy captain averages $97,000 (figures according to the Pro Pilot 2009 US Salary Survey) Why should the Gulfstream captain make more? Because it's a Gulfstream? So that's what I was getting at with the God complex. Many pilot believe they should be paid simply because of the type of equipment they fly. They want their pay based on image. I see this a lot.

I know alot of these jerk-offs. Their half the pilots as the rest of us but they somehow got lucky and landed a Gulfstream job. The owners fly around with these inexperienced pilots because they were "recommended" by someone. I know a few Global Express pilots that I would let drive my car. They call me up every week somewhere in the world asking the most basic of questions on how to properly do flight procedures or how to read an approach chart in Italy somewhere. I understand that alot of Gulfstream and Global get lucky and land jobs they have no business getting....but you would at least think the experienced guys at their companies would get them up to speed after a friggin year on the aircraft. There my friends and I help them out, but it really kind of bugs me too.

Its pretty funny.

Take a look at the Big Picture

Pilots in general do nothing to generate revenue or contribute to the bottom line. And now with the state of the economy, many organizations are trying to pinch pennies, so instead of just flying the aircraft, you might actually have to do something constructive for the company.
Your average pilots may be a dime a dozen, but it's tough to find a good pilot. A good pilot does contribute to the bottom line. They know which airports make the best economic sense (i.e. best combo of fuel, landing, and ramp fees), they compare hotel and rental car costs and some even schedule hotels and rental cars for their bosses. I don't consider this above or beyond for being a pilot in the charter/corporatre world. But to those who wrongly categorize pilots as a dime-a-dozen...you get what you pay for. That is where the value of a good pilot comes in.

So I agree experienced pilots should be paid appropriately for their experience, but what difference should it make if it's a G550 vs Citation Bravo? And like I said, you know just as well if you had to replace a pilot, you could do so very easily. And that is why, some will dig their heels in and just have to wait for the right position to come along for them. Others are going to take full advantage of the current situation, possibly creating some abuses, not only on themselves, but affect other pilots as well (pay being #1)
Image? Not so much. Alot of people like to erroneously compare flying to your regular 9-5 job. Unlike your regular 9-5 job, there are more opportunities for you to lose your livelihood in the blink of an eye. Fail a checkride, ding up an airplane, or lose a medical just to name a few. Then there's the international aspect which brings a whole new host of possibilities where the consequences can be alot more severe. Take a look at the average mission of a company that owns a Citation Bravo and that which flies a Global Express. Chances are, the Bravo won't be flying to Europe or Asia on a regular basis. Maybe someone who flies a G-550 can chime in on the difference between their pay and the pay of a 7X pilot. Maybe benefits are different.

Just wanted to point out that there are methods to the madness.

Latest resources

Back