• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboy62

Wannabe Jet Jockey
Falcon Driver,
I wanted to touch base with my favorite forum and let you guys know that Corporate Aviation is alive and well. I am fortunate to be working at an FBO here in town and had met the owner of a company that has a Lear 24 and 35. Recently he put the 35 out with EBiz (?) for 135 work. I happen to park them one night when they came in and asked him what a 1000 CFI could do to build turbine time. He offered me a job flying SIC in the 35. Talk about being blessed. One minute I am just a CFI, now I am somebody!!:D Of course, I am kidding (about being somebody that is!) but found myself 2 days later taking a flight test in his 24. Things went as well as could be expected, seeing as I have never even been in a small jet. But, as of last Thursday, I was informed by the Cheif Pilot that I would be going to Simuflite for SIC school next month.
My question is, what can I expect for starting pay? What is life like as a 135 pilot? Man, I could go on and on. I have several questions, but feel that they will be answered in time.
I know that the other FO and I will be slipping seats every 5-6 days, according to the CP. So I eagerly await the job offer that is to be mine oin a few weeks!!

Ron

PS Any GOOD advice will be appreciated!!

FLooo,
Thanks. I guess my real question is: how is the Simuflite SIC Lear 35 course? Has anyone been through that thing? After reading the thread you sent me to, and I appreciated that, I knew that there was going to be some material to learn and wanted to prepare myself. I do have access to a Flight Safety Lear 35 pilot manual and have been scanning that thing, but any additional heads up on Simuflite will help.

Ron

Ron,

Though I had Simuflite materials, I did not go there. Sorry I can't help you on that front. As far as 135 life goes, expect to be on call 24/7 unless the operation is adequately staffed. Don't worry, you'll love every minute of it. Are you single? That would help.

see ya' at 410...er...actually, you'll be there, but I won't. Make sure to wave when you go by.

SimuFlite

flyboy62 said:
I guess my real question is: how is the Simuflite SIC Lear 35 course?

Some background - I was fortunate enough to fly Lears in the Air Force and ended up teaching at the C-21(Lr 35) School House. We used SimuFlite for our simulator training and taught in them as well for Instructor upgrades. I also had the opportunity to instruct for SimuFlite waiting for a class with Delta in 98 and 99.

The ground school will be very straight forward with ample time to ask questions, etc. - Present, Review, Questions. The instructors are commited to doing everything possible to get you through the program as easily as possible.

The simulators will be about four hours with an hour brief and debrief (some video for CRM, etc). You'll fly with another client in the seat (left/right) while the instructor sits on the jumpseat running the profile and and simulator (when you see the screen flicker, he's just entered something into the system - Lookout!).

Since I didn't look at your background before hitting reply, I missed what course you're expecting. You can look it up on SimuFlite's website. I took a stab and got this course:
SimuFlite Lear 35 Initial New Hire Course - A .

Again, I'm shootin' at shadows and don't know if I've answered your question(s). Let me know if you have any more specific questions via Private Message or email (I don't read the board as frequently as I used to). I'll gladly answer all of them.

I wish you success!
Bill

Congrats....Since you have a FSI manual. I would suggest memorizing the Limitations section and ...I can't remember what we called them when I flew bizjets....all that comes to mind is the Red and Black boxed items in the Emergency and Abnormal sections. With this stuff memorized, which will take a while to get it all down cold, you will be way ahead of the game. Also if you can get your hands on a checklist it would be a good idea to sit in the cockpit and go through it a few times and familiarize yourself with it and the cockpit. Have fun

Gentlemen,
Thanks a bundle for all the info. I am eagerly anticipating the job. I am just amazed every time that I think of me, little ole me, going from C-172 to Lear 35. Again, I appreciate the heads up, as I want to be as prepared as I can. I will inform you fellas as soon as I find some new info.

Ron:D

Congratulations! I went through a similar situation 4 years ago when I went from a single engine CFI to a Lear 35 and 55. I trained at Simuflite in the Lear 55 sim, and took a short differences course for the Lear 35.
Simuflite is challenging, but your motivation should more than make up for your low jet time. I would start preparing by studying the limitations for the Lear 35 (and 24 if you will be flying it). Make a set of flash cards, and try to know most of them before you start class. Don't worry so much about learning the systems right now, the instructors will go over those pretty thoroughly in class. You will also need to memorize the immediate action items in the emergency procedures. So you might want to start learning those as well.

In the meantime, I would also try to tag along with one of the other Lear pilots while they do their preflight. Or you might set up some time with the Chief Pilot to go over the preflight with you. The cockpit checks can seem overwhelming in your first sim session, so it helps a lot if you already know what to expect!

There are many variations in the Lear 24's and 35's, so before you head to Simuflite, you should find out what serial numbers your Lears have, as well as type of autopilot, type of thrust reversers, seating configurations, and any other modifications they might have. If your company has their own weight and balance forms, grab a few blank ones, they might let you use those in class.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

PRentz15,
Thaks so much for the heads up. I am fortunate to have access to a Flight Safety Lear 30 series pilot manual and I have been working on the Limitations section thanks to some sound advice from an earlier thread.:p
The operation has only one Lear 35, and it is gone all of the time. I had planned on talking to the Chief Pilot this next week and I will mention my desire to lay hold of any paperwork on the jet. I just don't want to make a nuisance of myself, y'know?
Again, thanks for the reply and good advice.

Cheers,
Ron

Hey, I just found your thread! Welcome to the club. You're going to love it.

Get a systems CD (maybe your boss can burn you a copy) so you can see the various ways the electrical system, particularly the essential bus, is configured for the various serial numbers. Also, kits are sometimes installed to make an older model more like a later model.

Go over the V-speeds and the cockpit flows. Make a copy of the checklist that's in the plane you will fly. Most likely, there will be five items to be dealt with as you are cleared for takeoff:

1) Ignitors (labled air ignition) ON
2) Stall warnings ON (unless it's a windy day, in that case wait until the airspeed is alive)
3) Transponder ON
4) Cabin air (pressurization) ON
5) Strobe and recognition light ON

Your calls are:
Power set
airspeed alive
V1
rotate
pos rate

That should get you started. We do our own training in-house.

Oh, another tip: steep turns at 250 knots- get on that AI and keep 4 degrees nose up. The Lear is TRIM INTENSIVE. Use it.

And have a really great time......

Latest resources

Back