Lear 35 Capt. position available

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kid,

when mommy finally kicks you off the breast and you have to buy your own cheerios and PS2 games you may realize its a smack in the face to us who do this for a LIVING to offer HALF of what competitive wages really are. Dont give me that "Its good wages for Podink, Mississipi" $hit.

35K is a rediculous salary for a Learjet Captain anywhere... This is not a job where they teach you, they want a typed and current PIC. This $hit always creeps back in harder times and will again go away once flying picks up.

Hey, if someone wants or desires a job like this, go for it. Just dont come here and say how great it would be to get this position. There is nothing great about being a hore. That job sounds great to you with 200 hrs., and you say "Gee mommy, its better than flight instructing".....Kid, they are looking for a typed and current Learjet Captain, not a F'n CFI wannabe.

Now, if you had 500hrs and they offered this to you as an SIC...sure, great opportunity...but thats not the case.

I want to say "you will know what I mean someday" but that makes me sound F'n old.

As far as "talkin smack" I too flew Learjets a few years back - started at 38K as an SIC. Bad job but a fair wage, I worked my a$$ off, got typed, never paid for any of it.- a true stepping stone job. I would NEVER have signed for a Lear (PIC) for 35K/yr...

cant belive it...Im arguing with a 12 yr old on the computer...

:( :( :(

Last edited:
Gulfstream 200 said:
Kid,

when mommy finally kicks you off the breast and you have to buy your own cheerios and PS2 games you may realize its a smack in the face to us who do this for a LIVING to offer HALF of what competitive wages really are. Dont give me that "Its good wages for Podink, Mississipi" $hit.

35K is a rediculous salary for a Learjet Captain anywhere... This is not a job where they teach you, they want a typed and current PIC. This $hit always creeps back in harder times and will again go away once flying picks up.

Hey, if someone wants or desires a job like this, go for it. Just dont come here and say how great it would be to get this position. There is nothing great about being a hore. That job sounds great to you with 200 hrs., and you say "Gee mommy, its better than flight instructing".....Kid, they are looking for a typed and current Learjet Captain, not a F'n CFI wannabe.

Now, if you had 500hrs and they offered this to you as an SIC...sure, great opportunity...but thats not the case.

I want to say "you will know what I mean someday" but that makes me sound F'n old.

As far as "talkin smack" I too flew Learjets a few years back - started at 38K as an SIC. Bad job but a fair wage, I worked my a$$ off, got typed, never paid for any of it.- a true stepping stone job. I would NEVER have signed for a Lear (PIC) for 35K/yr...

cant belive it...Im arguing with a 12 yr old on the computer...

:( :( :(

Well what else are you going to do if there arn't any other jobs around?

justApilot said:
I am sure you guys that love to talk smack about low paying jobs didn't just fall into a high paying, fortune 100/500 flight department!

I left Flight Instructing Full time in Early 1994 making $25,000 per year (plus benefits)

Started with a 135 Charter company as a King Air 100/Lear 35 SIC making $31,000 per year (remember Early 1994 dollars) At this time Regional F/O's were making $15,000 their first year.

When I upgraded to Captain on the Lear 35 I was making about $43,000 in 1995 dollars... (that is $55,500 in 2003 dollars adjusting for inflation of 3% a year)

So even back then, I was making more (in 1995 dollars than this company is offering in 2003 dollars!)

This is a crap job for crap wages, period. It isn't a stepping stone job because they already want someone typed and qualified. If it were a stepping stone job they would be looking for some 1,500 hour CFI...

capnflyright said:
I put this notice on the board for anyone who may be able to benefit from it during these trying times. Those flying the smaller lears have to realize that the airplane isn't a major money maker. $50 K in an area where the aircraft is utilized 50 plus hours a month is justified, but only flying 30 hours per month narrows the pay scale down since the profit margin is lower. $35-40 K per year in the area where this job is based is actually pretty good, not great, but still good.

I don't think we've determined yet if this is a 91 or 135 job (if we have, I missed it). If it is in fact 91, there is no excuse for the operator to be paying such a low salary, whether it flies 5 hours or 75. If they can afford the airplane, they can afford to pay the pilots a decent salary.

Well what else are you going to do if there arn't any other jobs around?

Have patience. Tough it out. It's been this bad before, it'll be this bad again. Don't let these scumbags take advantage of you. (oh my god. I sounded just like my dad)

CitationKid, let me put it this way. I currently live in Birmingham, Alabama. Every stereotype you've heard about this state is true. It's the most @ss backwards state in the union. I'd give ANYTHING to get a job back home in STL and get the he!! out of this god forsaken place, there just isn't anything open up there.

However, as much as I want to move back home, If someone called and offered me 35K to fly a corporate learjet in STL, I'd decline. Every time someone caves into one of these scumbags, it sends them a message that they can treat you like crap. The economy just gives them an excuse to do it. If he gets no resumes for it, what do you think will be the first thing he does? Raise the salary, maybe?

Why are the 1st year salaries at the regionals so low? It's not because of the economy, they weren't paying the new hires crap during the boom cycle. It's because people are lined up ejaculating all over themselves cause the're gonna get to fly a jet. Like they say, sometimes we're our own worst enemies.

He!!, I'd love to fly a shiny new RJ and have a decent schedule, but I'll be d@mned if I'll do it for 19K.

sorry for the babbling.

If there are not any jobs in PODUNK.... you MOVE.

Get used to moving, if you plan on being a pilot for a living you will do it once or twice.

Im a "kook"? I guess I will just be a kook who always fought and worked for industry standard wages. God forbid a pilot today insists on getting paid approx. what he is worth.....

Can't relate?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am right there with you guys that say this is a poorly paid Captain position, I don't argue that. But.....

How do you know that there isn't a freshly furloughed guy down the street from this operator that needs this job? Maybe not for the seemless paycheck but to quickly get back out into the bizjet world to network for something better. How do you know the negotiating skills of this person to negotiate better pay? There are 1000s of pilots out there that have families, mortgages, etc that need a job for whatever reason. And trust me those pilots out of work are working their a$$es off trying to get back on their feet.

Gulfstream 200 said:
If there are not any jobs in PODUNK.... you MOVE.

Get used to moving, if you plan on being a pilot for a living you will do it once or twice.

Im a "kook"? I guess I will just be a kook who always fought and worked for industry standard wages. God forbid a pilot today insists on getting paid approx. what he is worth.....

Can't relate?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not an easy thing to do with 3 kids. My mom and dad are divorced so that means that both of them would have to move so I could still spend equal time with them.

If a furloughed guy takes this job he should be ashamed of himself. For a guy to undermine the rest of us just so he can get back in the seat is inexcusable. It would be equatable to him being furloughed because I went to his chief pilot and said: "I realllllly want to fly a 737. I'll do it for 40,000, and pay for my own training." Out the door goes a 737 pilot making three times that to make room for me.

They have provisions built in to their contract to keep that from happening to them. Why should we excuse them when they do it to us?

Maybe they are just used to it.....

All those furloughed 100k/yr 737 guys and their companies are still hiring RJ pilots for 19K/yr.....they dont think thats "opportunity" now, do they??

:rolleyes:

whatever................

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back