• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear 35 Capt. position available

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Must be nice to be in a position to be able to say that. There are plenty of people that would like to have that job.

True.

However, if we keep on bending over and wh@ring ourselves out to these sleazeball operators, then these wages will stick in the industry for a very long time. Taking this kind of job helps to depress wages across the board, and guarantees that the next job, the one you want after this one, may begin to creep down in value instead of moving along with inflation.

Bottom line: if no one is desperate enough to take this job, they will be forced to offer better pay. If every low timer with a type rating shows up ready and willing to take a jet PIC job for less than a good SIC position's value, then this kind of job will replicate itself throughout the industry like a virus. This is supply and demand, and you can help to control the supply by refusing to even apply for these bottom feeder positions.

Only the actions of every pilot can be the determinant of the future of aviation: stand as one, and control the future. Every man for himself, and we all paddle in a cesspool.

Your choice.

My choice? This guy won't get a resume from me. No now, not when I'm typed, not ever.

Period.

I agree.

What is worse than the offer is the response that they will get from inexperienced pilots who don't have a clue about what this does to pilot wages and benefits. They are convinced that this will advance their career and get them a juicy seniority number sooner as opposed to later.

What they don't know is that they may never get that union job, and will have to live with the operators that they are enabling in this type of operation right now, along with those many operators who are influenced by this kind of business model.

I remember when I had 200 hours, and would have given anything to fly the equipment I fly now. Hell, I remember when I had 1500/500 after flying checks, barely meeting insurance mins for the Lear and Falcon, but I never once said I`ll take the RJ for $18,000 a year. Needless to say, I would never accept a Lear Captain position for $35,000. I was making $36,000 a year as an F/O on the Lear, and no this wasn`t some rich Pax charter operation. This was flying freight in old beat up Lears, but they thought well enough of their people to pay them what they were worth. Some of our Captains who had been with the company for 4 years were making $100,000 a year. Even so after 911. I would like to see that 300 hour guy get the job. I`d like to see him try to keep the thing on the runway during takeoff roll.

I don`t say all of this to be an ass, but people please don`t become whores just to fly fast complex equipment. I guarantee anyone who would take that job will bitch about the salary 2 months later.

I, for one, am tired of companies that are in essence saying; "You were stupid enough to become a pilot, you deserve to be treated like crap!" That's what these companies are saying when they post jobs that pay that poorly. Let the son's of bitches fly 'em themselves. The problem is, if one pilots drops his drawers and bends over, they expect us all to follow suit.

List them here ----> http://www.bad-aviationjobs.com

Idea

This may come off a little corn-ball. I really don't mean it that way. I'm just fed up with this crap.

Lets do an Arlo Guthrie on these friggin idiots (or was it Woody -- I was kind of young -- fetal). We can drown these low-ball, scum-bag, a$$hole operators in resumes and apps -- hundreds. Build up their hopes, then make their lives hell. laugh at their employment offer when compensation comes up.

We can start a movement. Break 'em. They may eventually find someone to fill their poisition. But they'll have to work to do it. And maybe, just maybe -- we'll be able to force some of these guys to raise their wages.

Hell it sounds fun. I'm gonna do it myself. What's the contact info for this company. May as well start with them. I couldn't find much on "Bad Aviation Jobs."

Not an easy thing to do with 3 kids. My mom and dad are divorced so that means that both of them would have to move so I could still spend equal time with them. [/QUOTE]

Wow! I can't believe I just read this on this board.... I am stunned.

Allow me to preface this by stating that I have not started a family and at this point in time have no intention of doing so. But I know for a fact that it was possible for my mother to make a $1200 mortgage payment, drive a 2 year old car, pay the vast majority of her bills on time, and send 2 kids through private schools on less than $40,000/yr (inflation adjusted).

Look at the posts of Citationkid and see the future of aviation.

And what, pray tell, is so wrong with that?

We've all studied some basic personal finance, I assume, so lets figure this one out. As a single man living in the city I do, I can live very comfortably (read, drive a new car, afford a decent mortgage payment) on $30,000 a year.

And lets just say I'm a 30 year old Lear 35 captain making $45,000 a year (with COLAs) with a small part 91 operator. That means if I'm willing to plan ahead and spend responsibly I can sock away 15k a year.

And lets go ahead and retire at 65. If I have simply invested (I get a market average ROI), I walk away with about $5 million. If I have invested competently (say I beat market average by 1%), I retire with something in the neighborhood $7 million. If I have invested shrewdly (say I beat the market average by 2%) I walk away with around $11 million. At the low end, I don't ever have to touch the principal and I'm living like a king. At the high end I could afford to buy a brand new fully equipped T206 every year of my remaining life, never touch the principal, and live like a king.

So my question becomes, what is so inherently wrong with working for a wage that I myself deem much more than I need to live comfortably on?

The brotherhood of professional pilots? When we get down to the brass tacks, well, what's the percentage of professional pilots that have voted down concessionary contracts when their own livelihood was on the line?

Keeping the profession? Here's the way I see it (and the way many, many others I have met with dreams of a future in aviation see it), and this is where the whole future of aviation thing comes into play. I'd be getting paid....comfortably...to fly. And it's not about "flying a jet". It doesn't matter whether I'm flying a 152 or a 747. The scenario remains the same (assuming I'm getting paid the same).

And let me state, finally, that I am asking this as an honest question. I have no intention of starting a flame war. I do have the intention of starting an honest and civil debate.

You gotta enlighten...

Where in gods creation do you live that you can live "well" on 30K/yr...including a new car and a decent mortgage?....

..because Im going to move there and buy 4 Mac-Daddy houses and a Ferrari....

:D :D

I want to know this myself. I would also like to know where your mom found a 2 year old car, and didn`t have to make a payment.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back