Lear 25 Drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
fuel

When flying a 20 series lear you have to know how to play the game with ATC. On those longs legs (3 hour plus) you need to stay at altitude until about 80 miles out then come down at thrust idle....to do this it might be recommended to file to an airport further than your destination then when 80 miles out from your desired landing tell atc you'd like to change your destination. :) Works like a charm!...although ATC gets pissed from time to time.

Lear 20's

410 usually works great for fuel with minimal difference between .77 and .80. Yes you can get the slightly lower burn at 430 or 450, but you're rolling the dice on flaming an engine out any time you venture above 410. The cj610-6 is very suseptable to flaming out with any turbulence or abrupt engine operation, though the -8a is less so.

Anyone out there ever try to top a Thunderstorm, and have one pop?

410 has the additional benefit that only one pilot has to be on O2 (135 rule).

I was coming up A315 once with a Lear at 390, just past Port-A-Prince, when we came upon a big TRW. I decided to go ahead and top it so I got clearance to 430. At about 415, bump, goes the engine, so down we go into the TRW. I had a new FO and his eyes were big as saucers. I told him to get clearance for us immediatly to 240, Port-A-Prince couldn't understand why we had to go down(I didn't want to declare an emergency as we were having a lot of engine problems at the company at the time)Finally he gave out clearance to 240. It was at night so I just steered away from the flashes as we went into the TRW, of course in that situation radar was useless.We came out of the overhang at about 280 in the clear. At 240 we relit and then requested climb up to 390, Port-A-Prince said no, you are fine at 240. So we maintained 240 until we got with Miami then climbed. The problem was that we consequently ran low on fuel and had to land at MYNN for fuel. The passenger, patient, and crew in back at no time knew that we had a flameout.
If you are having problems with flameout check the IGV and make sure all the linkage is working properly. All CJ-610's should be able to go to 450 no problem if everything is adjusted right. Some times the linkage is so worn that it just needs to be replaced.

We constantly flew in 40's and alot at 450, I never had an engine flame out on me.

But we also moved the thrust levers very gingerly up there to. We had an airplane that gave a hickup every once and a while up there but thats about it.

I have heard that the -8 engines are alot better for not flaming out as to the -6 and -4's.

If you have a good set of engine's they won't and shouldn't flameout , but there are still a lot of junk parts out there. Of course I am 6 years outdated as I havn't been in Learjet circles for that long.

"(I didn't want to declare an emergency as we were having a lot of engine problems at the company at the time)"

:)

Latest resources

Back