Lear 23 aerobatic routine

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DC9stick said:
Bobby Younkin flew the Twin Beech, it was crashed during a ferry flight, He also flys "Sampson" a radial engine biplane designed by Curtis Pitts. The Waco is flown by Jim Franklin, He's been flying and modifing the Waco for 20+ years.

But unfortunately Jimy Franklin was killed in an accident..

First time I saw him was at the sussex airshow in nj.. The Waco was in an inverted flat spin with fire coming out of the exhaust and he was under 500 feet.. I have never seen an airshow act where I felt adrenaline until i saw franklin

http://www.franklinairshow.com/Memorial%202.htm

I saw Bob Hoover's last performance at the Reno Air Races in 99. Flew in with him from LAX on Reno Air. He still comes every year and has a booth selling his book and other stuff. I couldn't help practicing a bunch of rolls in our company Aero Commander after seeing his show. Did my share in a Lear 23 too, a couple started at 50 feet off the beach flying down to Cabo empty. When you start at 300K you gain at least 1,000 feet so you can call the tower 30 miles out. Also a good way to accelerate above 250 knots reaching 10,000 ft. all at about 1 G.

clickclickboom said:
But unfortunately Jimy Franklin was killed in an accident..

First time I saw him was at the sussex airshow in nj.. The Waco was in an inverted flat spin with fire coming out of the exhaust and he was under 500 feet.. I have never seen an airshow act where I felt adrenaline until i saw franklin

http://www.franklinairshow.com/Memorial%202.htm

Franklin was awesome. Anyone remember his Aerostar act?

Ill Mitch said:
Franklin was awesome. Anyone remember his Aerostar act?

Seeing that Aerostar a couple of inches above the ground with the smoke on was awsome. The kiddies loved the darth vader, lord of the dark aerostar part of the act :) I believe the act stopped because his Father in law or relative in any event crashed the airplane.

icefr8dawg said:
Seeing that Aerostar a couple of inches above the ground with the smoke on was awsome. The kiddies loved the darth vader, lord of the dark aerostar part of the act :) I believe the act stopped because his Father in law or relative in any event crashed the airplane.

I remember that. It was his father and he was going to ferry it to the Reno Air Races and crashed on takeoff.

Haven't heard of a Sabreliner doing an airshow routine. Anyone got any video of it? I'd love to check it out!

bobbysamd said:
Didn't Bob Hoover have a Lear acro routine? I know he did with a twin Commander. I saw it one time and it was absolutely astounding. What made it all the more astounding is I read once that during the entire routine he loads the airframe to +1G max.

Does anyone have that link of the video? That was by far the MOST AMAZING THING I have ever seen.

OPECJet said:
Haven't heard of a Sabreliner doing an airshow routine. Anyone got any video of it? I'd love to check it out!

He did a roll on takeoff. One of the coolest things I have ever seen.

OPECJet said:

There is a video of it, I saw it once, years ago when I flew Sabres. I think my old boss had a VHS copy at the time. Pretty amazing stuff. Hoover tried to get a waiver to fly single pilot, but the feds denied it.

Latest resources

Back