Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pushntin

Gear Up, Flaps 10.
What kind of tape do maint. shops use to protect the leading edge of aircraft while in the shop?
Thanks

Usually one doesn't. Protecting wingtips and other such areas are a bigger concern, and there are a variety of ways to do that.

Protect the leading edge from what?

Every time we have carried our Gulfstream into the shop the facilities have put a protective tape on our leading edges from getting them scratched.

I don't know what Gulfstream uses, but blue painters tape works well, as it doesn't leave a residue or distort the surface it covers, and won't mar brightwork.

Avbug... I believe he is referring to Protective Film P/N: 7305 for the clear plastic stuff. I do not know what the P/N is for the green stuff they use.
Aviall has some of the film tape (P/N: 5413-3) that will work.

I've seen the blue painters tape used too (and used it), but it depends how long the airplane will be there and what's being done. Generally there's no need to cover the brightwork. If it's going to be more than a week, I wouldn't use paper tape.

At Bombardier in Tucson they have aircraft-specific leading edge covers that extend up the winglets and attach with suction cups. I'm not sure what they are made of, but they seem to be pretty heavy duty and likely to protect the leading edge from most conceivable damage.

Perhaps it's not as big a concern around aircraft with high wings, but I can certainly imagine a tool cart rolling into a Learjet wing. As they say, "An ounce of prevention..."

Latest resources

Back