• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LAX near miss?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is what you get when an airline hires pilots with only 250 hours and than upgrades him/her a year and a half later with just minimal time!!

I believe that you have to have 2500 to upgrade at Mesa on anything that goes international - IE the RJ. A lot of Regionals hire guys with low time. Go to All ATPs - look like most of their guys go to ExpressJet with not much time

Glad the crews and pax are all ok. I hope the rumor is true about the Mesa MEC going to the media about their rest issues. God knows 21 dead was not enough for JO.

ArcticFlier said:
Ummmmm.....play nice. We're all human and therefore prone to mistakes.

AF :cool:

Thats why there are 2 people in the cockpit...our mistakes can kill people.
What ever happened to if your not sure where your at on an airport you just stop and ask for help?? Dont they teach that a Mesa Pilot Development? Friggen tools.

Kudos to the Skywest crew..great job guys.

2500 hours to ugrade at Mesa....are you clueless? If that was the case No one would qualify for the left seat. Remember that female captain that tail struck the A/C last year...she had 150 hours in type.

Amen brother...you do get what you pay for!!!

Last edited:
Hey, I agree that two pilots should act as ..............well.............a team. But, if that happened every time, how many accidents would we have? None? Nope. We're human, and you can't take that out of the equation.

Homerjdispatch needs to play nicer.

AF :cool:

Yep both guys screwed up, no doubt, I agree. But this crew didn't make a runway incursion because they were lost, the captain even admits that in the article; he just kept going after the rollout.

Kudos to Skywest Crew... Great Work!

All Mesa upgrades on the jet need to meet ICAO minimums. As for 150 hours in type, BFD! I flew with a guy recently who transitioned from the 737 he had 150 hour in type too; pretty decent pilot. Maybe she was just a crappy pilot.

As for getting what you pay for, I think the mesa crew makes more than the Skywest crew. Mesa has 13 bids per year I think Skywest has only 12.

Bottom line. Stay Focused! Its a dangerous job no matter how much time you have; safety has to rule. Don't turn this into a thread to bash one airline or another keep it what it is.

Again, way to save the day Skywest! Nice job reminding us all to stay alert and ready.

grog_sit_reserv said:
As for getting what you pay for, I think the mesa crew makes more than the Skywest crew. Mesa has 13 bids per year I think Skywest has only 12.

If I hear that argument one more time I'm going to throw up. It doesn't change the fact that on that 1 hour scheduled block flight, after your 2 hour groundstop in PHX and your half hour hold, your first year FO is still only going to make $18.50 for 3.5 hours of block. I'm really not trying to be bitter, but there's no defending Mesa's payscale/compensation/work rules.

:puke:

Any pilot at any airline can screw up and make a mistake; that trait isn't exclusive to MAG pilots by any means.

Popeye - The 2500 has to do with ICAO - MAPD's dont have enough PIC, so they have a formula that is used to convert make and model that was logged as SIC. Another thing a lot of guys upgrade to a different type - I upgraded from the FO CRJ to CA ERJ, A lot of guys go from the 1900 or D8 to CRJ. That explains the 150 in type.

Recently they droped the ICAO mins for the D8, but you still need the ATP mins. I know a few Skywest & ASA guys who jumped ship for D8 CA.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back