Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JJJ

Lawsuit filed against SWA....

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) — A judge has set a trial date in a discrimination lawsuit filed against Southwest Airlines by two black passengers who were upset when a flight attendant recited a version of a rhyme with a racist history.

Grace Fuller, 48, and her sister Louis Sawyer, 46, were returning from Las Vegas two years ago when flight attendant Jennifer Cundiff, trying to get passengers to sit down, said over the intercom, "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; pick a seat, we gotta go."

The sisters say the rhyme was directed at them and was a reference to its racist version that dates to before the civil rights era: "Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; catch a n----- by his toe."

"It was like I was too dumb to find a seat," Fuller said. Sawyer said fellow passengers snickered at the rhyme, which made her feel alienated.

The sisters are seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

U.S. District Judge Kathryn Vratil last week dismissed the sisters' claims of physical and emotional distress but set trial for March 4.

"The court agrees with plaintiffs that because of its history, the phrase `eenie, meenie, minie, moe' could reasonably be viewed as objectively racist and offensive," Vratil wrote. The second line of a modern version of the rhyme usually goes, "Catch a tiger by the toe."

Airline attorney John Cowden said there was no intent to discriminate against any passenger.

Cundiff, who is white and was 22 at the time of the incident, said she had never heard the offensive version of the rhyme. She said she learned the Southwest version from co-workers and used it as a funny way of getting passengers -- who are not assigned seats on Southwest -- to sit down.

Plaintiffs' attorney Scott Wissel said the sisters also want Southwest to stop using the rhyme and provide employee training to prevent such incidents.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Grace Fuller and her sister Louis Sawyer for passing along the dark version of that rhyme to an additional 2 or 3 generations of young Americans who otherwise would never have heard it. If people like this don't stop picking at scabs, we as a society will never get past the racial divide.

Sometimes I just don't even have words to react to idiotic actions such as this one. Sometimes I just want to freakin' scream.

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess if you look hard enough and interpert things so they look how you want them to in you sick mind, everything said could be seen as a "racist nursery rhyme"

I bet someone will find this post racist and offensive so be it. It will prove my point!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is what society has become.

If you can't afford, finance it!

If you can't finance it, sue for it!

What a sad day.

AAflyer

un_______believable!!!!

like Adam Smith said

Like Adam Smith said in "Wealth of Nations" back in the 18th century. Lawyers are parasite on an economy, they produce no economic good, he said the some thing about preachers too.

AAflyer said:
It is what society has become.

If you can't afford, finance it!

If you can't finance it, sue for it!

What a sad day.

AAflyer

You forgot to mention:

If you can't sue for it, scream racist and get it and more for free!

I smell the stench of Jesse Jackson behind here somewhere.

It's a sad commentary that the once great civil rights movement has been corrupted by individuals like this. Anyone who is a minority should be ashamed by these individuals because they make everyone look bad when they use it to their advantage in something so petty.
Talk about looking for something to complain about.

Anybody can relate rascism to anything.

Take a simple game of pool.

Green table relates to the green earth.

Cue ball is the white man trying to supress all colors by sinking them into the 6 holes.

At the end of the game you have got to sink the prized Black ball.

Before I get flamed for plagerism, I got this analogy from a movie. (I forget which one)

Simon Says said:
Anybody can relate rascism to anything.

Take a simple game of pool.

Green table relates to the green earth.

Cue ball is the white man trying to supress all colors by sinking them into the 6 holes.

At the end of the game you have got to sink the prized Black ball.

Before I get flamed for plagerism, I got this analogy from a movie. (I forget which one)
In one of my speech classes in college, there was a fellow who gave a lecture on race relations and he used several gaming analogies like the one you presented. During Q&A after his speech, I asked him what he thought of bowling.

Latest resources

Back