• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Laundry or cleaning?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

What do you do with your uniforms when they are dirty?

• I wash my own uniforms

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • I take them to the cleaners

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • I don't know, my significant other does it for me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just buy new uniforms every time I go flying

Votes: 6 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Six of one...half a dozen of the other!

I do my own shirts (which my wife appreciates!) and take the trousers and jackets to the cleaners every other month.

I use Flying Cross shirts. I used those in the military and they lasted for better than 10 years. I also starch the sh1t out of them and they're great.

I also use Elbeco shirts but won't buy them again.

Here's what I know of the mysterious black gunk on those hotel irons.
1) People don't know how to iron, so they set the irons on a very hot setting on clothes with polyester, thus burning and melting their clothes and leaving residue.
2) I know of people who use their irons to cook and reheat their food...
3) I know of some people who use their ironing board as a snack bar...

In case some of you didn't know, the 'Gojo Fast Orange' hand cleaner is great stuff for oil and hydraulic fluid stains. You can use it as a pre-treatment or it works as a quick clean-up in a pinch. It usually doesn't work if you don't catch the oil stains before the first wash. This stuff was especially useful when I had job flying freight in DC-3s and we had to wear white uniform shirts (go figure).

I believe that most other shop type hand cleaners does the job just as well.

I wash my shirts and air dry them. Send my pants and blazer too the cleaners. I hardly ever where the blazer. Mostly just the overcoat when its cold.

For those work double-shift weeks as a ground agent, at the end of the 14 hours, I took off the shoes and wore the rest into the shower. Whites on top, navy blue on the bottom, and a little bit of detergent, hung 'em up overnight (overday?), and back to work looking spiffy.

:eek: I really don't know if I just forgot, or did it deliberately. . .

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

In my earlier days as a freight dog we stayed in hotels that didn't have washing machines/Laundry. My most memorable wash job was on a layover in SFO where the hotel the company put us in ( by accident) had rooms with hot tubs. I didn't have the opportunity to wash my stuff for a week or so (I was on an18 day rotation) so after stealing a few bottles of shampoo from the maid I filled up the hot tub with water and added the three (or six) bottles of shampoo and LET HER RIP!!! It was wild!! Lots of SUDDS!!. The only problem was, my socks and underwear kept getting caught in the intake!! Washing socks and underwear in the sink has always been normal ops when hot tubs are not available. To dry, just hang the cloths over all the available lamps in the room and turn them on of course and also on the heater. The blow dryer also works well in a pinch.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back