Launch Scrubbed for today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
paulsalem said:
How do they determine their "window" of time to launch within?

Based on having daylight for the entire lift-off and entry into orbit. Want to be able to see everything in case anything is out of the norm.

They also time this for when they will be able to reach the space station. The time will decrease by about 30 minutes each day. As of now, the latest is they will try again on Monday, and the time frame is for somewhere near 1:30 pm local.

9GClub said:
Maybe they're concerned about spewing LOX all over the place without any hydrogen to mix with it......

This non-NASA-insider speculative crap is freaking awesome! People who actually know what they're talking about...... just go play with your slide rules or something whilst the rest of us project our Cessna and Piper paradigms onto the U.S. space program.

?????

The sensors in question are intended to shut the engines down in the event the LH tank is depleted before the orbiter's computers command a shutdown at the normal time. Under normal conditions, the engines are shut down while there is still fuel in the ET- the burn time is carefully calculated based on vehicle weight, desired altitude, etc. If either the LH or LO were to be depleted while the turbopumps were still running, the engines would obviously quit, but there could be all sorts of other bad things going on- pressure surges, ruptured lines, and so forth.
The failed sensors are intended to prevent that, shutting down the engines before the LH tank is empty. If they were to suddenly indicate zero quantity before MECO, they could cause the aforementioned swim in the Atlantic for the astronauts.
The danger from this anomaly was not from "running an engine without fuel".

Typical clumsy reporting.

Last edited:
Wiggling some wires

CBS news 7/15:

"The only way the shuttle would be able to fly on Sunday is 'if we go in and wiggle some wires and find a loose connection,' said [deputy shuttle program manager Wayne] Hale, who conceded that was unlikely."

Crap I can wiggle wires, can I work for NASA?

9GClub said:
Is Collins actually a pilot......... or is she just a female?

She's the commander. Translation - pilot, left-seat-occupier.

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/collins.html

This biography gives her over 4700 hours in 30 types of aircraft - I know that number isn't too impressive to some of you, but not bad for a military career from 1979 to 1990, is it? She was attending the AF Test Pilot School when selected as an astronaut.

EDIT - Since this biography is a bit dated, she has presumably picked up a lot of T-38 time since them.

mzaharis said:
She's the commander. Translation - pilot, left-seat-occupier.

MZ,

HA! I know that, I was joking. Check out the "Hello, I'm Miss KittyKat" thread.

Last I heard, Collins has somewhere north of 6,200 hours of jet time. If I'm not mistaken, her primary ride in the AF was the -141.

Sorry - should have put [Literal] and [/Literal] around my post. Hadn't read the MissKittyKat post first.

;)
Yeah, the bio lists mostly C-141 experience. I guess that Transport pukes also have a shot at a machine with a >1-to-1 thrust ratio.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back