• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest XJT info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the trick is that we are being asked to take large concessions while MOMMA D kills it. We carry those bags that they get bag fees for, yet don't benefit one bit. If they had come back to us and said, no concessions, just sign new contract extension for 4 years with no pay raise it would have passed easy. and then they go back to Momma D AND reno their agreement and its done. we aren't asking for $175k an hour and $95 an hour for FO. If a 15 year $110,000 CPT and $50,000 FO bankrupts their model, then so be it.

Meanwhile, at PAPA U we sadly lag our competitors like MOMMA D by a cool Billion. Those nasty winter storms that hampered us more than our competition (TIC), can't find an iPad mount for our fleet of Boeings and Airbus's to satisfy the FAA though AA has them mounted in their MD80's, staffing is so jacked up that on the 777 here in IAH they are DHD'ing EWR FO's down to cover the IRO positions on the 2nd NRT all the while they just announced a need to TDY 1 777 FO from IAH to EWR, and on and on and on...... Simply put XJT contracts to a profitable entity and a losing entity, management knows this and when it comes to negotiations they are going to focus on UAL losses and most likely cite our $2 Billion savings initiative over the next few years. Not saying get your knee pads out, but with Mesa all of the sudden getting more UAL feed it is clear UAL management only looks at the various ASM's and not the quality.

Either way, XJT/ASA is still tops in my book when it comes to the regionals. Though you may think management sucks, etc. I can assure you it sucks just as much at UAL, hell for a while the head of labor relations at CAL/UAL had the last name Martin and we called him "goat boy" and those of us that did union work at ASA back about 10 years ago had a labor relations guy with the last name Martin whom we nicknamed "goat boy".

Meanwhile, at PAPA U we sadly lag our competitors like MOMMA D by a cool Billion. Those nasty winter storms that hampered us more than our competition (TIC), can't find an iPad mount for our fleet of Boeings and Airbus's to satisfy the FAA though AA has them mounted in their MD80's, staffing is so jacked up that on the 777 here in IAH they are DHD'ing EWR FO's down to cover the IRO positions on the 2nd NRT all the while they just announced a need to TDY 1 777 FO from IAH to EWR, and on and on and on...... Simply put XJT contracts to a profitable entity and a losing entity, management knows this and when it comes to negotiations they are going to focus on UAL losses and most likely cite our $2 Billion savings initiative over the next few years. Not saying get your knee pads out, but with Mesa all of the sudden getting more UAL feed it is clear UAL management only looks at the various ASM's and not the quality.

Either way, XJT/ASA is still tops in my book when it comes to the regionals. Though you may think management sucks, etc. I can assure you it sucks just as much at UAL, hell for a while the head of labor relations at CAL/UAL had the last name Martin and we called him "goat boy" and those of us that did union work at ASA back about 10 years ago had a labor relations guy with the last name Martin whom we nicknamed "goat boy".

I agree with everything you said....I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I have simply reached my max as to what I'm willing to 'give' the company. If my current pay and work rules are so bad that it will bankrupt the company, then so be it. I am not interested in taking a pay cut, nor making the same pay for more work( insert increased efficiency here). The work and responsibility are no longer commensurate with the pay....and certainly not less pay, etc. Oh if they want to take us into BK and void the contract and attempt to gives us the new 'industry average' contract.... then they will absolutely learn the true meaning of operational inefficiency going forward... in every possible legal way

Last edited:
The LXJT guys still think it's all an accounting trick.

nope(well at least not last quarter), the problem is that some idiot in management at some company signed a deal with United so that when United chooses to cancel the flight(I would say 98+% of the 27000 cancelled flights were mainline initiated), they arent required to pay XJT. However we have cancellation pay in our contract so XJT is still required to pay the crews.

Whether the books are cooked or not(they are, they always have been, and they always will be) isnt the biggest issue, its the ********************ty CPA's that management signed with United that is causing a lot of the loss.

It only takes $1k per flight at 90% of 27000 flights to make 24 million dollars appear and boom we made a profit.

When you sign a 0-1% profit CPA that relies on bonus's to make money and then you run the company so terribly that you will never get said bonus's, it doesnt take a genius to figure out that you will never make money.

Bonuses. But yes, you are correct- the company thinks it can get by on them; problem is, they can't hit the hurdles set by the mainline partners.

Controllable CF and on-time metrics aren't being made by a long shot, and not all of it is our fault. United's UAX division is run so poorly, and so haphazardly, it just isn't a viable business plan of ours to assume we can achieve said bonuses.

'Millions left on the table'...

Last edited:
Bonuses. But yes, you are correct- the company thinks it can get by on them; problem is, they can't hit the hurdles set by the mainline partners.

Controllable CF and on-time metrics aren't being made by a long shot, and not all of it is our fault. United's UAX division is run so poorly, and so haphazardly, it just isn't a viable business plan of ours to assume we can achieve said bonuses.

'Millions left on the table'...

two words. Magic Underwear.

I agree with everything you said....I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I have simply reached my max as to what I'm willing to 'give' the company. If my current pay and work rules are so bad that it will bankrupt the company, then so be it. I am not interested in taking a pay cut, nor making the same pay for more work( insert increased efficiency here). The work and responsibility are no longer commensurate with the pay....and certainly not less pay, etc. Oh if they want to take us into BK and void the contract and attempt to gives us the new 'industry average' contract.... then they will absolutely learn the true meaning of operational inefficiency going forward... in every possible legal way

And I don't think you guys should concede anything. As someone pointed out, management signed the agreement with UAL, let them figure it out. At UAL we have had to add block hours this summer on the A319 to cover some block hours initially allotted to XJT because of pilot staffing issues. That is a good thing! Maybe they'll realize that outsourcing is not a viable long term solution and maybe at least pull the staffing of flight deck crews in-house. We'll see, all the best!

And I don't think you guys should concede anything. As someone pointed out, management signed the agreement with UAL, let them figure it out. At UAL we have had to add block hours this summer on the A319 to cover some block hours initially allotted to XJT because of pilot staffing issues. That is a good thing! Maybe they'll realize that outsourcing is not a viable long term solution and maybe at least pull the staffing of flight deck crews in-house. We'll see, all the best!

Yeah, right, uh huh ?
unical's m,o, is to outsource as much as possible whenever possible.
After all, jeffry wants to run it more like a business and less like an airline.
More like a non profit and less like a business.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back